PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about jeeps?

theduke300
12-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Does anyone on here know much about jeeps and what there worth? I have a 2000 banshee that should run extremelywell if tuned right, but im just tired of messing with it. It wont even rev high enough to take off at the moment, and a friend of mine has a 1991 jeep yj wrangler. 2.5 litre 4 cylinder 5 speed. Stock height, no top, 4wd, it runs pretty well. He snapped a shifting fork the other day and has offered to trade me even for my banshee. The jeep has a few dents and dings but not bad. Only on tiny spot of rust on the driver front fender. It has 31" tires on black wagon wheels. I cant find a yj for less than 2500 on craigslist, and thisjeep books for 2700 in fair condition? I figure the banshee isnt worth over 2000 running so this is an okay deal right? Sorry for the novel haha. Any info or opionons on yj jeeps is appreciated, thanks!

CJM
12-18-2012, 08:38 PM
2.5L engine is a DOG. Very slow and underpowered imho but it will work if you dont mind going 0-60 in like 10-15 seconds. if you dont intend to ever drive it on the hwy you will be ok.

As for a shift fork in the trans, junkyard trans should be pretty easy to find and put in.

Reason they are worth so much is they are a jeep and people want them even if they are all beat up. If anything the trucks worth 1000 bucks with a busted trans. Could sell the shee for 2k if it was running good.

Personally Id keep the banshee or fix the jeep and sell it.

zyoung04
12-19-2012, 02:13 AM
I've had a couple friends who had 2.5s and had nothing but problems. But these things looked they rolled down a hill side over side before they got them.

rcer450r
12-19-2012, 06:27 AM
I had a 93 Wrangler, 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. I agree with the other guy, they arent the fastest vehicle on the block but they are fun. Just warn you though, if you plan on hwy driving, you wont like it. at about 70 mph your around 3000 rpm. Also without a hard top, get a little cold in the winter. I loved it for around home though, lots of fun.

eightysix86
12-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Do you know what JEEP stands for? Just Empty Every Pocket!!

theduke300
12-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! Well... we traded haha. I have plans to fix it oratleast find whats wrong with it before the weekend. Ill decide then if i wanna keep it for a first vehicle or sell it. Ive talked to some people about small block chevy swaps and have heard they arent to hard. Anyone know about this? Ill get some pics posted in the next couple nights, thanks

Napalm Nate
12-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by eightysix86
Do you know what JEEP stands for? Just Empty Every Pocket!!

Also stands for: Just Each & Every Paycheck lot of fun though

KKiowaTJ
12-19-2012, 10:02 PM
They are fun as hell though. I had a 95' 2.5l and with 31's and 4.10's and it was decent. Went 180k with 3k oil changes and never a problem. Had a 97' 2.5 and was fun as a DD.

Around town its not bad, But wind will lug out the 4cyl on the highway and so will hills. I have a 4.0l in mine and turn 3k rpm and has for 180k. The 4cyl is a 4.2L jeep motor less the two middle cylinders. It uses the same parts motor wise to an extent.
Off road you wont notice much differnce unless you throw 33" and no 4.88's in the axles.
You can go to craigslist and get a hard top and doors for 1k or less. I went full soft top and doors on my 97' and it had great a/c and it would still heat you out, That ran with ALL hardware $500. The CJ's are the jeeps that the heater was ****ty. YJ's and TJ's have good ones.

Or if its rust free or minimal body but rust free chassis, The YJ 4cyl is a great rock crawler/buggy platform. Easy axle swaps, Easy TBI 350 V8 conversion etc can be done cheap or sell it as a solid frame running jeep.
In all the years i have been around them i have never lost money on a jeep wrangler. They are like harleys and hold value well. Unless its a rust bucket, A running jeep top or not is worth $2500 minimum. That and wranglers with leafs make the girls boobies bounce really well. Good luck

theduke300
12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
They are fun as hell though. I had a 95' 2.5l and with 31's and 4.10's and it was decent. Went 180k with 3k oil changes and never a problem. Had a 97' 2.5 and was fun as a DD.

Around town its not bad, But wind will lug out the 4cyl on the highway and so will hills. I have a 4.0l in mine and turn 3k rpm and has for 180k. The 4cyl is a 4.2L jeep motor less the two middle cylinders. It uses the same parts motor wise to an extent.
Off road you wont notice much differnce unless you throw 33" and no 4.88's in the axles.
You can go to craigslist and get a hard top and doors for 1k or less. I went full soft top and doors on my 97' and it had great a/c and it would still heat you out, That ran with ALL hardware $500. The CJ's are the jeeps that the heater was ****ty. YJ's and TJ's have good ones.

Or if its rust free or minimal body but rust free chassis, The YJ 4cyl is a great rock crawler/buggy platform. Easy axle swaps, Easy TBI 350 V8 conversion etc can be done cheap or sell it as a solid frame running jeep.
In all the years i have been around them i have never lost money on a jeep wrangler. They are like harleys and hold value well. Unless its a rust bucket, A running jeep top or not is worth $2500 minimum. That and wranglers with leafs make the girls boobies bounce really well. Good luck

Thanks for all the info bud! My jeep has hardly any rust, it just needs a few body panels due to dents etc. I havent decided to keep it or not, im just gunna get it fixed and decide then. If i keep it, ill proly put a 350 in it