PDA

View Full Version : carrier

JACK STRAW
12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
i just bought a rad h-17 tapered carrier.they told me the grease fitting greases the axle then fills the cavity to the bearings. my thoughts were that since both seals hold grease in, if it gets greased too much that will result in pushing a seal out so what we have done on heavy truck brakes with similar setups is to take one seal (sprocket side) and turn it around so if it gets over greased it will give the grease a place to go by pushing thru the axle to seal area instead of popping the seal out. any thoughts. thanks

on the rocks
12-17-2012, 06:20 PM
your 2 options.

1. turn the seal around: pro- relieves grease pressure to prevent seal coming out. con- the seal is back wards and could not keep out dirt and water. ( destroying the bearings.

2. put the seal in the right way. con- you cant pump 50 gallons of grease in it. pro- crap will stay out of your bearings.

i say option 2 and just don't go crazy with the grease gun. most seals will let the grease out any way before the seal comes out.

Longdong
12-17-2012, 07:08 PM
What are you really greasing? The bearing are sealed..............

CJM
12-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Tapered bearings might be open if I recall, I couldbe wrong.

Honestly I say if theya rent sealed you just grease them normally and relax and put the seals in the right way.

Ive greased many items over the years and never had an issue so long as the item was greased well. I didnt grease my trailer in IDK how long and despite my misgivings about it when I finally did it actually wasnt that bad.

PRO TIP: Dont use anything else besides hi temp red wheel bearing grease. It will keep the water out and withstand temps.

Stickman400
12-17-2012, 10:51 PM
I have that same one and was worried about not getting enough grease in it so I put in ATLEAST 10-15 pumps of grease in it when I installed it. Then after I rode it for a week or so I prolly put in another10. I've been keeping an eye on it and haven't had anything happen yet. BTW I used Citgo Supergard Marine Plus Grease which is waterproof.

But now that CJM mentions that high temp. grease, I think I may have the wrong stuff in there. I looked on Citgo's site and it says it's good up to 250 but it isn't suggested to be used in disc brake wheel bearings, which is basically what this setup is. I'm gunna put my hand on the swingarm over the carrier on the next good ride I get on it and see if it's warm. I may have to buy some of that grease CJM mentioned and tear mine all part and put that in it instead.