PDA

View Full Version : winch

JACK STRAW
12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
i hate to bother people about this but i can't get help. i am putting a winch on my sons '96 trx300 4x4. i am concerned about the potental draw of 30-40 amps. is there any way to save the battery or alternator from premature failure besides not installing it. i think that as the battery draws down, the alternator will have to act like a battery charger not a maintainer.thanks for any help. the battery is about the same size as a 400ex

JOHNDOE83
12-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Ok cool, if it has a secondary battery that goes inline with the 400ex battery you will be ok.

It works like a capacitor for a large car stereo, when it draws power it automatically gets replaced by the second battery like a trickle charger.

If it worries you, dont run the motor when using the winch and it will run off its own seperate battery, then when you do start the atv it will trickle charge the second battery.

JOHNDOE83
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
sorry I read that wrong.

But anyway, if its a 12v winch as long as you are only using it with the atv turned off you will be ok.

JACK STRAW
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
do you think it will make the alternator work to hard to charge the battery back up?

JOHNDOE83
12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
I dont think so, it would be doing what it was made to do as long as the winch isnt running at the same time.

The fact that the winch is 30-40amps only means that the small atv battery wont power it to its full potential.

You could always run a second battery if it came down to it, possibly just keep a charged battery on the winch just in case things happen. Then you could use the 300ex battery once the winch one dies.

JACK STRAW
12-17-2012, 06:26 PM
ok i will try to find a spot and hook another one in parallel. thanks

CJM
12-17-2012, 07:28 PM
30-40 amps? For an ATV winch??? QUE??? :confused:

Listen, I rig up all sorts of 12v stuff for work, there is no way a winch is gonna draw that much unless you get an oversized winch of some kind or try to use a small winch to pull a heavy machine. How much can a trx300 4x4 weigh..500lbs at most?

30 amps max is what most will pull b/c the machine isnt that heavy. The stator (quads dont have an alt) will charge it just fine. If you dont feel it will buy a higher capacity battery. IE if its the same battery a 400ex uses then you can buy a hayabusa battery and it has much more cca and will work great. Or buy a lithium battery with higher capacity.

If you wanna wire in another parallel you could but i think your wasting your time.