PDA

View Full Version : 450r shocks

louie401
12-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I recently put trx450r shocks on my 05 400ex I haven't go to ride it with the new shocks is there anything I need to look for. Also what are your opinions on bead locks I'm going to start racing gncc this coming season. And should I put a 450r carb on my 400ex

CJM
12-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Remove all the preload and play with the rebound and compression to your liking.

You need a cam of some sort, stage 2 is best all around

The carb will be worth it, just make sure you do it right by following the threads here.

You dont need beadlocks if you have the stock wheels. There is no real way to throw a bead off them, only once have I managed to and thats cause I crashed down a hill. You want beadlocks, douglas will be cheapest and worth it.

Longdong
12-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Save your money on beadlocks. Spend it on dialing your shocks in.

Baileygunns
12-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I have a cam and a 450r carb if you're interested... PM me

TacicalRedneck
12-16-2012, 07:16 PM
how long are these tracks?

what if you were to pop a tire out there? Wouldn't beadlocks get you back at least?

I bought the DWT g2's- love them so far

CJM
12-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by TacicalRedneck
how long are these tracks?

what if you were to pop a tire out there? Wouldn't beadlocks get you back at least?

I bought the DWT g2's- love them so far

I been running around the woods for eons now and never busted a bead on stock honda wheels or douglas (similar to stock wheels). Basically race along as fast as possible all the time.

Spend the money in motor work and suspension and then do the extras like beadlocks if you got the cash.

Longdong
12-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Does anybody know the weight difference between beadlocks and stock wheels? My guess is 10 pound a rim! Beadlocks are very heavy. That add up to a lot of rotating mass.

Stickman400
12-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Hipers are carbon fiber, which would weigh less than the stockers. But I don't think I would worry about rotating mass unless you are looking to show up the pros out there and trying to get every last useable bit of power out of the engine. I'd run the stockers until you bent one or popped a tire off the bead, then consider getting the beadlocks. No point in replacing something that isn't broken.

Longdong
12-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Hipers are carbon fiber, which would weigh less than the stockers. But I don't think I would worry about rotating mass unless you are looking to show up the pros out there and trying to get every last useable bit of power out of the engine. I'd run the stockers until you bent one or popped a tire off the bead, then consider getting the beadlocks. No point in replacing something that isn't broken.

Hipers are heavier than stock rims.

JOHNDOE83
12-17-2012, 06:00 AM
I agree with CJM, Ive had crazy high speed crash's were the ATV literally flipped end over end for 60+ feet down a road and NEVER pulled a tire off the bead.

That was with stock rims, ITP steel rims and douglas blue labels.

In my opinion, the only good side to bead locks is they make changing tires easy.

The weight of the bead lock rim will also slow you down while racing.

However, I have seen tires pull off the bead from drifting and hitting rocks or tree stumps, not mine but other peoples.

I would sacifice and use the lighter stock wheels for speed reasons during the race, just ride slightly more cautious and you should be fine.

I would only use beadlocks if I were racing the Baja.

CJM
12-17-2012, 07:34 PM
^ Agreed.

Honestly Ive seen more tires come off the beads due to people not running enough pressure.

Lets be realistic here: Anything less than 4-5 up front is a bad idea and anything less than 3-4 in back is bad. Like I said, I never busted a bead and I ride like a nut in the woods. 6 ply tires do help however b/c they are more rigid and wont flex much like a 4ply would. less flex does equal less grip, but when racing GNCC you want the thicker sidewalls of the 6ply.

Also buy a steering stabilizer, ccp (find it on ebay) or precision. I have one and LOVE it. What would normally make you fly off or take the bars outta your hands gets absorbed and you stay on the quad.

Stickman400
12-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Well they didn't seem all that much heavier than a stock rim to me. I've held a stock front rim and a Hiper CF1 10x5 single beadlock and it couldn't have been more than 1 or 2 pounds heavier at the most. Now the back rims I could see being heavier since it's a dual beadlock and all that hardware on there, but the fronts can't be much different. 'Course I'm prolly sounding like an idiot because all of you are pretty much talking about rears more than fronts, I mean it wasn't said but who buys just front beadlocks and goes XC racing?........... I'm gunna shut up now.:chinese: