PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Rear carrier bearing replacement questions.

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Started to put my rear carrier back together. Got the bearings pressed in, greased everything really good, but I got a couple questions.

In the manual it says to press the bearing in until it seats. I did this but they dont seem to be even into the carrier.

Sprocket side, little to no gap between bearing and seal.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/optionboarder81/IMG_3359_zps8f1e1a61.jpg

Brake side, gap between bearing and seal.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/optionboarder81/IMG_3361_zps597a38b9.jpg

The brake side seems to be pressed in alot farther and you can see in the pictures there is a big gap between the bearing and seal. Are they supposed to be uneven? Or should I try to even them out? The spacer is preventing me from being able to press them in farther.

Also in the manual it says press the seals in until they are flush with the carrier, do they want the outer seal part flush(like in the picture) or the lip part of the seal flush?

Like this or pressed in until the lip is flush?
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/optionboarder81/IMG_3348_zpsd707e53d.jpg

CJM
12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Everything should be flush.

You did freeze the bearings and heat up the carrier before you tried to press them in right?

01boneless
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
its normal on the seals thats up to you it dosent really say in the manual i pressed mine in all the way up against the bearing

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Everything should be flush.

You did freeze the bearings and heat up the carrier before you tried to press them in right?

Yea, I had the bearings in the freezer and had the carrier in hot water before I pressed them in.

Originally posted by 01boneless
its normal on the seals thats up to you it dosent really say in the manual i pressed mine in all the way up against the bearing

But if theyre in all the way, they might not seal to the brake/sprocket

CJM
12-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Hot water wont cut it man. Gotta heat up in the oven or use a torch.

I pressed the seals till they were flush but packed grease inbetween them and the bearing.

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Hot water wont cut it man. Gotta heat up in the oven or use a torch.

I pressed the seals till they were flush but packed grease inbetween them and the bearing.

Im not having problems pressing the bearing in, I pressed the brake side in first until it seated in the carrier. Went in just fine. Then put the spacer in and pressed the sprocket side bearing in, but it wont go in as far because its hitting the spacer.

CJM
12-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Shoulda went in fine. IDK both bearings are the same size right?

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Shoulda went in fine. IDK both bearings are the same size right?

Yea, same bearings. I did how it says in the manual to seat the brake side first, then do the sprocket side. But the sprocket side isnt going in as far in the carrier as the brake side because its hitting on the spacer. It this how its supposed to be?

CJM
12-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Both of my bearings went in flush if not more. You sure everythings bottomed out right?

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Both of my bearings went in flush if not more. You sure everythings bottomed out right?

Is the bearing supposed to be seated on the spacer, or seated in the carrier? Because one of mine is bottomed out in the carrier and it seems the other one is bottoming out on the spacer. Did you have a space between the bearing and the spacer?

pmg8134
12-14-2012, 06:29 PM
did all parts of the bearing get removed? from what i remember it should be on spacer on inner race and carrier on outer race, both sides. from your 1st pic it looks almost like there is still a bearing in there. can`t really tell if the grease is making it look like that or not

pmg8134
12-14-2012, 06:29 PM
did all parts of the bearing get removed? from what i remember it should be on spacer on inner race and carrier on outer race, both sides. from your 1st pic it looks almost like there is still a bearing in there. can`t really tell if the grease is making it look like that or not

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by pmg8134

Yes everything got removed. That rusty piece is the spacer in the first picture. So your saying it should be seated in the carrier and on the spacer?

pmg8134
12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
it`s been awhile man but from what i remember. once it was seated on both sides tight to the carrier their was little to no play with the spacer

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by pmg8134
it`s been awhile man but from what i remember. once it was seated on both sides tight to the carrier their was little to no play with the spacer

Hmm ok, Ill have to take a loot at it again.

But still confused on the seal part, which part should be flush with the carrier?

hondaREX
12-14-2012, 08:08 PM
All the seals that ive used do not have the lip that is so far out. Its also been awhile for me too but im pretty sure the seal is flush with the outer surface of the carrier and the lips are more "in" the seal not protruding.

The bearings bottom out in the carrier and may also pin the spacer tight. The only way to check if the bearings are seated correctly would be to pull one bearing and the spacer and measure the distance from the bearing that is still in the carrier to the raised area that the other bearing should bottom out on. Then measure the spacer. The 2 measurements should be the same. Not sure if that is explained very well. Be sure the bearing that is left in the carrier is first fully seated.

Its probably overall ok but you need to see if the seal that sticks out rubs on the hub.

As far as the spacer looks in the first pic, it is the spacer that looks like another bearing race but it is just that, the spacer. It has a raised area at each end right after the bearing and then tapers to a smaller diameter.

Kyle T.
12-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I think the lip part of the seal is supposed to help seal to the hub.

Im pretty sure the bearing is seated correctly. Since everything seems to go together right.

Kyle T.
12-15-2012, 11:54 AM
I guess thats just how the bearing seats. I pushed the seals in a little more so the lip was flush and everything went together great. Thanks for the help guys

JOHNDOE83
12-15-2012, 06:59 PM
is it possible you bought single row bearings for a dual row carrier?

Cause i did that once:D

CJM
12-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
is it possible you bought single row bearings for a dual row carrier?

Cause i did that once:D

Johns possibly right. Is that a stock carrier or aftermarket. It can make a big difference..

Got a pic of where the holes for adjustment are? if they are just holes in AL then its an aftermarket dual row bearing carrier, if its cheap looking slots thats stock and you need single row bearings..

Kyle T.
12-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Johns possibly right. Is that a stock carrier or aftermarket. It can make a big difference..

Got a pic of where the holes for adjustment are? if they are just holes in AL then its an aftermarket dual row bearing carrier, if its cheap looking slots thats stock and you need single row bearings..

Nah its the stock carrier, and I ordered everything right from my dealer here http://www.donandroys.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2469759&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=2001&fveh=131478

Everything fit just fine I think I was just overthinking the whole thing.

CJM
12-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Should be fine then. :D

Kyle T.
12-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Haha yea, thanks for the help :)