PDA

View Full Version : Stroker or P&P?

d90rick
12-13-2012, 08:19 PM
I am rebuilding my motor. 87mm hi comp piston, cam, carb etc. if i had to choose, should i do a stroker crank or a P&P? (All work done by sparks) Racing XC btw. Or, clean up ports myself & do a stroker?

dxcody
12-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Stoker.

I def wouldn't recommend doing the port work yourself.

If it isn't done right you can actually lose power.

Either path you choose you will have more power.

Actually now that I think about it, you might wanna have the head work done instead of the stroker.. It will make your quad snappy, and for XC it is a lot of short bursts of power, so the head work might be a better choice.. IDK

CJM
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
Port and polish. Not only will it be cheaper but a much easier build. Rage ATV or Racers Edge is who Id recommend.

DragonGunner
12-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Back in the day alot of pro XC went with the strokers and did very good even against the 250R's an the new YFZ450's.....but stroker are expensive with minimal gains of a couple hp....every bit helps......but as you can see pros aren't running the 400EX anymore....so why dump alot of money into it when if you like the XC racing you will be going to the 450R anyway.....? I recommend a port job on the intake side an clean up on the exhaust.......but more of a concern is what kind of shocks do you have for your XC racing? They are just as important if not more than hp. Put your money there.

d90rick
12-14-2012, 06:25 AM
All gt thunder, ccp, hiper etc. Ran top 10 in A class on it w/ only a pipe & timing key. Starting to smoke so needs rebuilt. Y not a 450? Because I just got back into quads last year so the bike isn't holding me back yet, plus I am still learning how to handle it etc. The only place I am limited are open field sections where minimal time is lost. Plus the hassle of selling, buying an R etc.

DragonGunner
12-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by d90rick
All gt thunder, ccp, hiper etc. Ran top 10 in A class on it w/ only a pipe & timing key. Starting to smoke so needs rebuilt. Y not a 450? Because I just got back into quads last year so the bike isn't holding me back yet, plus I am still learning how to handle it etc. The only place I am limited are open field sections where minimal time is lost. Plus the hassle of selling, buying an R etc.

I do like riding the EX over the R myself, just the way I have mine set up maybe so I see where your coming from......there are guys here that have the GT stroker, maybe than will chime in if you still want to go that way.....guess it all depends on what your $ range is. A rebuild with higher compression piston is going to really help your EX though.....I would still do a port job.....can someone chime in if they think it would also help to put a 450R carb on, if you don't have it.....guys saying it really improves. I still have the stock carb on my 406EX an thinking if I got a good deal on a 450R carb I might try it out.

quadmanw
12-14-2012, 08:16 AM
deff go with the P&P. I rebuilt mine last winter and I am very happy with the high compression piston and the port and polish. It makes the bike alot snappier and gives you some arm ripping power in XC racing. My bike in the low end runs just like my cousins 450. I still believe that the 400 is the best XC bike if thats what you grew up riding and you know how to build it.

400exshop
12-14-2012, 08:44 AM
No matter what way you go you will need to have the head ported, and if you are going to have it ported I would go with Racers Edge for the port work.

Give John at racers Edge a call tell him Eric miller from south carolina sent you, There number is 1-520-631-0797......

He help me out with my new build on a 700 raptor..... I have all of his parts on my bike and it as a 879 aka the 880.

There verry nice to deal with....

Thanks EJRacing.