PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Plug inside of clutch cover?

ansimation
12-12-2012, 09:48 AM
I set out to change the clutch in my son's 426 a little while ago and as soon as i got the clutch cover off, this little rubber plug fell out and I'm not exactly sure where it belongs. In the photo I set it on-top of the back of the oil filter housing and I outlined it for you guys to try and help me figure out where I need to put it back. I don't see it mentioned in the manual anywhere?

http://imgur.com/wFYua.jpg

ansimation
12-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Here's where I ended up putting it because it fit there nicely but let me know if that's right or not I'm not sure

http://i.imgur.com/e86R9.jpg

CJM
12-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Reminds me of the plug on the end of the oil filter.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
So that's not where it goes then? I should take it out of that hole before installing the cover?

AtvKid4Eva
12-12-2012, 12:30 PM
i am not sure where it goes exactly, but it does NOT go where you have it. I have taken several side cases off the clutch side and have never seen that? Hopefully it will look familiar to someone and they will chime in. It fell from inside the engine when you took the side cover off?

ansimation
12-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah. I'm taking up to my local Honda dealer now to see what they say about it.

riotact
12-12-2012, 01:36 PM
I just did a complete engine rebuild on an '02ex and that part was not in the motor.This is gonna sound really stupid but maybe it was left in there from the factory,or if the side cover was powder coated that may have not been removed prior to installation.I'm definitely interested to see where it goes.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Just got back from my local honda dealer and they said it was probably the spring seat in the oil pump? based on it looking like it could be #4 or #7 in this http://www.actionhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2469449&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=2003&fveh=131480

But how would that have fallen out when I took off the clutch cover?

riotact
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Huh,I have no idea.I do have a pump thats apart out in the garage give me a few and ill go get it and take a pic for ya.

riotact
12-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm going to have to say the dealer is right on this one,but I have no idea how it could come out of there either.

riotact
12-12-2012, 02:46 PM

riotact
12-12-2012, 02:47 PM

ansimation
12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Hot dang that's it! Now I just have to figure out how to get it back in there. This is really my first time inside the engine, or any engine for that matter. I build websites and this crap is confusing. Do I have to take the entire oil pump off to put it back in? Or can I just pull that little cotter pin and remove the little spring assembly?

riotact
12-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I would just go ahead and pull the pump out.All I did was pull the cotter pin out and the spring and plunger came right out.The rubber plug just pushes into the end of the plunger,and then reassemble.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah I decided I was going to pull the pump and do it but I removed the 2 bolts holding it in and it doesn't want to budge? I don't want to force it and break something. Do I need to remove the entire clutch assembly to remove the oil pump? That involves grinding some nut in the basket and I'm not really liking that idea so if I could leave on the clutch and remove the oil pump, that would be awesome. It looks like I should be able to remove the oil pump with the clutch still on there?

ansimation
12-12-2012, 04:38 PM
After looking at one on ebay, it appears that there's 3 bolts and not 2 so thats why it wouldnt come off. Hope i dont have to remove clutch to get to it

riotact
12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I can't remember right off hand but I dont think you have to remove the clutch,and yes there are 3 bolts to remove it.There should be 2 long bolts and one short one,it is on the ear in the top left corner of the pic.That might be behind the clutch basket but dont know for sure.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM
It is behind it. Trying to figure out how to get the basket off now so I can do that tomorrow. Thank you for everything! I was going to put it together without it because I had no idea where it went.

I had it together, but the clutch was being weird like it wasn't pulling the lifter and wouldn't disengage. So I took it back apart and then I saw your reply so at least now I can put it back where it goes.

riotact
12-12-2012, 06:41 PM
No problem glad I could help.Just use an impact on that center nut and hold the basket with your hand and take it easy it'll come off.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
That's a tool I don't have unfortunately. And my big compressor went out so now I'm using some measly thing that barely fills my tires. Just called my buddy and he has one and I'll borrow his compressor also, heh.

However, the manual says I need to grind something to weaken the lock nut? Here's a pic describing what I think it wants me to do.

http://i.imgur.com/CqgEH.jpg

And here's the Exploded OEM Diagram (http://www.actionhonda.com/fiche_image_popup.asp?fveh=131480&section=2469441&year=2003&make=Honda&category=ATVs&dc=1981&name=CLUTCH)

CJM
12-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Take a decent screwdriver or preferably a chisel/punch and push it back out.

But even so with that spot and an impact I zip it off without bothering. Just gotta straighten it out when you put it back on.

Really should replace it tbh but I never did.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Not really sure what you mean by "push it back out" or "that spot" but I think what you're saying is just hit it with the impact and worry about it when I put it back on?

I'm not even really sure what it looks like and I'm staring directly at it. It all looks like 1 piece to me so I'm im not sure what they want me to grind. It looks as if there could be a ring where I drew my grind area in my previous image. Also I don't see it in the diagram that I linked to below the image so that leads me to believe it's just a nut.

CJM
12-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Its a staked nut. basically theres a divot in the shaft and you smack the upper part of the nut (its somewhat flexible metal on ther upper portion of the nut) into the divot so it cant work loose.

Like I said, just zip it off or unstake it first if you feel more comfortable.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Ah alright I got it. found this image that shows it a little better i think

http://www.off-road.com/images/content/2-Ball-Joint-2-9-11.jpg

CJM
12-12-2012, 09:03 PM
yea similar to that.

ansimation
12-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks a ton guys! My mechanic hasn't answered his phone for a week and a half now. Talked to him one day and he said I can bring the bikes over 'tomorrow' then I called him the next day and he hasn't picked up since so I'm doing this myself.

Next is my bike and I have no idea what's wrong with it. Going to pull the flywheel cover and see if I can see anything wrong in there. Thinking my starter clutch is broken. or something worse but it wont start and sometimes it just sounds like a drill (when you press the start button) and doesn't even turn the engine over. That and right before it died there was a weird rattling going on. Either way I got a complete gasket kit so I can just tear into it and see what it is.

Also thinking i should take the time to polish the covers while they're off as well. Hrmmm, lol

CJM
12-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Sounds liek the starter clutch is bad and not engaging.

ansimation
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah that's what I was thinking also but when it does engage ( randomly ) and turns over the engine, would that prevent it from starting also? It did that drill noise in the past and then started engaging again after that and worked ok for a little while and would still run when it engaged but now, no dice.

CJM
12-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Mighta just got lucky for awhile.

ansimation
12-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Maybe...

Anyway I got the oil pump off and put the plug in there. But when I took out the cotter pin, all that sprung out was the spring and the very thin spring seat at the end. The metal slide piece was way up in there and I actually had to take a piece of wire and feed it through the end with the cotter pin into the the inside ( I had it apart ) and then after bending the other end with pliers, pulling it back through to pull out the metal piece that was stuck in there.

Now that I've put it back together, the spring and metal slide and everything is all the same length as the WHITE line in the image. The YELLOW line represents the whole tube area it sits in, where it was stuck originally ( The metal slide was blocking that hole ). The PINK line shows where it currently stops and if you look in that hole you can see the little plug that fell out originally.

Is it supposed to block that hole? Or is it ready to put back in there like it is?

http://i.imgur.com/Hsgbf.jpg

riotact
12-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Yes it is supposed to be the same length as the white line and is ready to be put back in.I dont know why that slide wouldve been all the way down there maybe the oil pressure keeps it up against the spring but then again the one I took apart was where yours is now.

ansimation
12-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Awesome, she's all back together and working. Well, except for the damn start button I put a new starter in to solve that but I'll order a solenoid tomorrow I guess.

Thanks to all of you for all of your help!