View Full Version : Sparks racing timing key......snake oil or legit?

RNL
12-09-2012, 06:14 AM
I don't think I have ever seen a mod have so many different reviews and oppinions. One person will say it's great, others say it does nothing. I want to know real world results of this mod by people who have done it. I also got a feeling that it does work as Sparks knows their stuff, but I want to make sure. I'm getting another 400ex, and my buddy who has one is looking at this mod to.

Crosshairs
12-09-2012, 07:27 AM
I have a stock 400 EX, except for a full FMF system, an EHS lid and a re-jet..

I rode the bike that way for a few months.I then installed the Sparks key and to me, I got a small improvement.....I feel there is better throttle response and a bit more power throughout the RPM range.....This is all from my butt dyno, so take it for what its worth..I have seen others post that they got no improvement....

For the few dollars it cost, I think its worth it to try it for yourself.

RNL
12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Crosshairs
I have a stock 400 EX, except for a full FMF system, an EHS lid and a re-jet..

I rode the bike that way for a few months.I then installed the Sparks key and to me, I got a small improvement.....I feel there is better throttle response and a bit more power throughout the RPM range.....This is all from my butt dyno, so take it for what its worth..I have seen others post that they got no improvement....

For the few dollars it cost, I think its worth it to try it for yourself.

Thanks for the info. At the cost of it I guess there's no reason not to try it. Do you feel the exhaust was a much better gain? Sounds to me like the key is a compliment mod to an exhuast and rejet.

Crosshairs
12-09-2012, 08:21 AM
The exhaust and opening up the air cleaner lid was a big improvement...I bought the exhaust used from this forum, so the cost was half of a new one....

I had read a lot about the key and finally decided to give it a shot......its pretty cheap and only takes about 30 minutes to install....I do think it does give some improvement, but as I said, I cant back that up with any real data.

RNL
12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Crosshairs
The exhaust and opening up the air cleaner lid was a big improvement...I bought the exhaust used from this forum, so the cost was half of a new one....

I had read a lot about the key and finally decided to give it a shot......its pretty cheap and only takes about 30 minutes to install....I do think it does give some improvement, but as I said, I cant back that up with any real data.

Nice to hear you like the FMF, alot of people bash them.

CJM
12-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Put it in a friends stock EX, I felt nothing.

RNL
12-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Put it in a friends stock EX, I felt nothing.

That sucks.

CJM
12-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by RNL
That sucks.

Yup.

I honestly dont know what the true gimmick is but it didnt seem to do anything to a totally stock 400.

DragonGunner
12-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Put one in my 2002 EX that was stock with WB Exhaust an K&N, holes in the lid. My son rode this mostly, we put it in an he said he felt a differance, I got on and it did feel more responsive at the throttle so I would give my 2 cents that it was legit for a gain at least on ours.

beastlywarrior
12-09-2012, 01:35 PM
its legit, it's a spark timing advance

400exmxracer
12-09-2012, 06:25 PM
YOUR FROM FENTON!!!!! ME TOO!!! where at in fenton do u live, we should go riding together. Were pronoun like 5 minutes apart.....SMALL WORLD!

RNL
12-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxracer
YOUR FROM FENTON!!!!! ME TOO!!! where at in fenton do u live, we should go riding together. Were pronoun like 5 minutes apart.....SMALL WORLD!

Thompson Rd. and US23 area, how about you?

400exmxracer
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
I LIVE A LITTLE SOUTH. ALMOST TO HARTLAND ABOUT A MILE FROM WHERE CLYDE AND ARGENTINE MEET!

Kyle T.
12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Ive been trying to find a sparks +6 key for a while, but no luck.

CJM
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Kyle T.
Ive been trying to find a sparks +6 key for a while, but no luck.

they sell them at the sparks racing website under"electrical' if I recall.

Kyle T.
12-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by CJM
they sell them at the sparks racing website under"electrical' if I recall.

I tried ordering one through them, but it wouldnt go through. Maybe Ill just have to try again.

quadmanw
12-10-2012, 10:38 AM
that happened to me.. give them a call. theyre nice guys.

2001400exrida
12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
it's legit as mentioned, there's no gimmick about it.

It's not going to give crazy HP gains but it does advance the timing.