PDA

View Full Version : Bills pipe for MX riding?

quad janern
12-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I`ve recently bought a ESR 310cc mx cylinder and i was wondering what exhaust i should run.

I have a Billspipe in good condition but was wondering if that pipe was good for mx riding.

If not its going to collect dust and i will buy a Sparks mx pipe.

Let me know :)

etccb
12-07-2012, 02:24 PM
If you are going to buy new get the esr trx5. As far as the bills I don't remember exactly but I believe it was a lo mid ok mx style pipe.

C-LEIGH RACING
12-08-2012, 06:30 AM
etccb,
Next time you talk to Eddie, ask him who Bill taught how to build pipes.
Neil :)

etccb
12-08-2012, 07:17 AM
I hope to be calling over there to start a new build this spring. Rarely talk to eddie himself but I did back in july. You may see him out in the dunes sometimes. I remember at one time back in the day the bills was one of the best pipes out and I am sure it is better then a lot of pipes that are still talked about a lot more then it today.

C-LEIGH RACING
12-08-2012, 09:02 AM
:D Lot of people, dont know the answer to that question I asked & would really be surprised to know who it is.

Bills was some good pipes & a cylinder can still be ported to one today & perform well, but most dont understand porting & want the big scary ZING FEEL & then once they get it cant handle it & Bills pipes just wont match up to a port like that.

When a rider has a quad engine ported higher than their riding level, how many races are they going to win.
Neil

bradenc19
12-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Would a bills pipe be good for woods racing i have it an a ct which would you use. I like the way the bills pipe looks better thought i would try it first. I have a 300 big bore with a 4mm crank an a 38mm a/s carb but i dnt have it all togeather yet. Wht would you do. Thanks for any info

C-LEIGH RACING
12-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by bradenc19
Would a bills pipe be good for woods racing i have it an a ct which would you use. I like the way the bills pipe looks better thought i would try it first. I have a 300 big bore with a 4mm crank an a 38mm a/s carb but i dnt have it all togeather yet. Wht would you do. Thanks for any info

If you have a CT midrange MX pipe, that pipe will be just a bit newer design than the older model Bills, so performance would be just a bit different between the two. The stinger on the Bills pipe, is just a hair smaller than the CT, so the CT will release pressure easier than the Bills.
The smaller stinger on the Bills, will cause the pipe to hold more heat than the CT, so the engine will need to be jetted richer to combat the heat.
One pipe would be just as good as the other performance wise, but theres differences that could cause the pipe to function different.
Things like that extra heat the Bills would have, carbon build up on the inside of either pipe, dings or caved in places or the condition of the silencer, if the packings in good shape.

I have both of those pipes as well, CT is chrome & Bills painted black, but I opt to use the CT because of the stinger size on a big bore cylinder.
Neil