PDA

View Full Version : So can someone help me clear this up

TacicalRedneck
12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Is it good to run these 400's at high rpms?

More than once i seem to hit my rev limiter- It just doesn't seem good but i have an obsession with the tripping rev limiter sound :rolleyes: :D

:confused:

Scro
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Normal riding, it's completely safe to hit temporarily hit the limiter. But if you are just sitting in the garage pinning it just to hear the sound, that's not good.

TacicalRedneck
12-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Normal riding, it's completely safe to hit temporarily hit the limiter. But if you are just sitting in the garage pinning it just to hear the sound, that's not good.

About the only time i ever hit it is when i rev up for a drag race or between shifts

:bandit:

i guess were all good now

dxcody
12-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Open areas, I don't usually shift until right before or on the rev limiter because someone on a 450 is usually behind me.. For some reason my friends always want me to lead when we practice..

They say I have a good "pace"..

Which is OK because I prefer to lead actually.

But anyways, yeah a light rev limiter tapping is normal.

I mean after all, they do put the rev limiters at a safe RPM range, right?

Thumpin440ex
12-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Not even going to BS, I let this thing ride the limiter in the garage one nite for ****s and giggles for a good 5 seconds. Still running like a top. I think they actually test these things on the limiter from the factory( I can recall reading that some where)

John

400man
12-07-2012, 12:51 AM
I always like to tickle the rev limiter shifting from 2nd to 3rd to 4th :blah: . and on a decent straight stretch on the road I can top out 5th gear and stay right on the rev limiter for a good 5 to 10 seconds before a curve comes up. mines geared kinda low though at 14/38

DragonGunner
12-07-2012, 05:20 AM
I hate stock rev limiter.......I bought the WB cdi a decade ago and it gives a different power curve an 1000 more rpms.....I've had it pinned 5th gear long stretches tons of times.....no harm. Its doesn;t seem to have a limiter at all now....I put the stock back in in extreme cold for easier starting, fun for trails, but for fast riding an racing it sucks, espically in deep snow when limiter keeps kicking in.....been times when after it got warmed up I would switch the stock cdi.....then go back out an rev the living crap out of and have more fun. Honda played it WAY too safe with the rev limiter.....Honda built a good 400EX motor.

Muzzgit
12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
That's strange, must be just me, but I never once hit the rev limiter on my EX. Last year I rode some big dunes with 7 other quads and heard two of them on the rev limiter and I was surprised.

I think I once hit it when I missed second gear and hit neutral the first time I ever rode that quad, but that's it.

Theres no chance of hitting the rev limiter now on the 700. It makes all the power down low and nothing at the the top so its change up quick and stay in fourth

Scro
12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
On a stock, or close to stock machine, it's rare that you will hit the limiter. There's just not enough power to get you there quickly.

Zakradu398
12-10-2012, 06:37 AM
When I had a stock 400 I don't think I could hit limiter over 2nd gear lol. But now with my mods I hit it constantly :devil:

01boneless
12-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Go to the local mx track and listen to all the rev limeters trippin lol

TacicalRedneck
12-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
Go to the local mx track and listen to all the rev limeters trippin lol

what mx track? ;) :D