PDA

View Full Version : programmer

russellsroost31
12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
hey guys wanted to know which programmer to buy i have it down to these 2 products
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/je...et/model/k1500
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vnm-v45-203

CJM
12-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Snake oil. Trust me its a waste of money. A diesel engine can utilize this kinda thing as they are detuned form the factory, but a gas motor is pointless.

Now if you had a custom tune done with larger injectors and fuel pump along with head work-then thats worth it.

russellsroost31
12-03-2012, 05:49 PM
ive got some friends tho that put programers in their trucks and notiche some gain in hp and atleast 3mpg

CJM
12-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by russellsroost31
ive got some friends tho that put programers in their trucks and notiche some gain in hp and atleast 3mpg

You wanna buy one go for it, I dont believe in a out of box tuner like that-it cant tune specifically for your vehicle and is just generic really.

Could give it a shot if you want tho, I aint gonna stop ya :D worst that happens is you wasted your cash.

russellsroost31
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
yup and if ya dont like it ya can re sell it

chucked
12-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Ive seen dyno charts, the only way the power increase is noticable is on a dyno, lol. And I call bluff on anyone that says a tuner gave them better fuel economy, because it gives their engine more fuel, you're not going get better fuel economy when your injectors are giving your engine more fuel. On top of that I bet 90% of people don't even know how to accurately check their fuel economy

bbender85
12-04-2012, 06:23 AM
had a box programmer on my last gas truck. power gains were minimal but it made the transmission work much better. bought it used and it was worth it, but i wouldn't have paid retail for it.

fastredrider44
12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
On a gas truck, I'd get a Black Bear tune or something like that. I've never seen the box tuners do any good on a gas truck either.

mineralgrey01gt
12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
SCT livewire is really nice depending on the application. I noticed a difference on my car when I put a SCT tuner on it. Even with the canned tune it was a noticeable difference

Steve97
12-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I put diablosport in 04 gas dodge pick up noticed 3 mpg increase and better performance. Made big difference towing 30 foot toy hauler only 1 mpg more with trailer but it feels like truck doesn't work so hard

pro-rider46
12-06-2012, 08:49 PM
programmers do work, especially for a slugomatic, changes shift points, changes timing, fuel curves, it should help, still not as good as a custom tune, but unless its built requiring a custom tune then you really dont need a custom tune. should help mpg because of more power means less throttle to move.

i have a sct tuner in my stang and im very happy with it. i can change a ton of things, like launch limiter(2step), rev limiter, gear ratio for correct speedo function, idle, and a bunch of other stuff.
i dont know if it helped my mpg at all because i swapped a $ht ton of stuff, but i hear they do help quit well.

KXRida
12-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I had a gryphoon tuned from php on my f150 and it made a pretty noticeable difference. Diesel wise programmers are down right amazing anymore for these trucks. It's crazy what tuning can do for a common rail diesel.
I would however go with a reputable tuner and not a cheap box tune.

russellsroost31
12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
i was thinking the superchips max microtuner

mineralgrey01gt
12-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Best advice I can give also is go with the tuner your local tuner (shop) of choice uses. That way they can cater to you and it's not you spending twice the money. That's why I mentioned SCT previously. Any shop in my area mostly use SCT for tuning.

russellsroost31
12-11-2012, 10:06 AM
yea
ill porb just run one of the preset programs
ill also put long tube headers on so i should have some good power when im done