PDA

View Full Version : Custom axis ride height issues

LRD-R
11-30-2012, 04:32 PM
I have a lrd frame with stock linkage n just purchased new shocks from custom axis n i have no problem getn front ride height right but the rear with zero pre load im like 8 or 9 inches with me in gear on. And i read 7inches is the magic number i check n my main spring is a 400 pound spring which custom axis says should b right.i only way 170 pounds with gear on.is there any one haveing this issue with my same set up n wht spring weight did thy get to fix this issue.ive read alot on seting it up with free sag n race sag n axis says just worry about ride height well wht i read if i use a light spring to get ride height right wont i be just band addn it should i have a shorter shock maybe.so that free sag n race sag n ride height all b together. I spent alot on theses shocks n just want it right.yer imput is so needed thank.

LRD-R
11-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Sorry heres beter pic

xcracer411
11-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Axis has always had a ride height issue with the r's the use to long of a shock buy pros

Meat
11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
whats the eye to eye length ?

dustin_j
12-01-2012, 03:19 AM
You can check for what shock length you need by putting the quad 12" off the ground with the wheels on and shocks removed. Measure eye to eye what length shock you would need and compare to your Axis. If that matches, then it is likely the spring. Did you provide swingarm length and what year linkage you are using when they built the shock. This will make a difference on ride height and possibly shock length. Check race sag; if you aren't in the 4-5" range (which it sounds like you are not), then the spring is likely too stiff. I the ideas help, good luck!

danhung11
12-01-2012, 03:12 PM
I do not recall seeing a LRD frame on Axis's price sheet when I ordered my shocks. That said, the upper shock mount looks really low compared to an OEM frame. I'd take the shocks out and do an extended shock length measurement like dustin_j mentioned. I believe Micah builds all the TRX250R stuff, and the shocks he has been me have been perfect.

chopp124
12-01-2012, 04:31 PM
make sure u are not hitting your cross over to early. yes i have had many problems. most of the time i end up with a spacer internally to shorten shock. i am doing it now on a houser build. i have no link though u can get lowering link arm i think on that one

Meat
12-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by xcracer411
Axis has always had a ride height issue with the r's the use to long of a shock buy pros

"Axis has always had a ride height issue with the r's" What makes you say that ?

"the use to long of a shock buy pros"
Not sure about this but I think you're saying... "They use too long of a shock" and I'm not sure what you mean by "buy pros" ??

Meat
12-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
I do not recall seeing a LRD frame on Axis's price sheet

Shouln't be any difference between the lrd frame and a stock one

jon370r
12-03-2012, 02:32 AM
You may want to look at your dogbone suspension link. There are two different lengths. If you have the short one (88-89?) then the long one should get you close to what you need.

Burns310r
12-03-2012, 06:06 AM
What is the ride height with all four tires on it with you on it and it sitting on the ground? Thats the one that matters the most?

Or is that how you are measuring?

I know my CR500 linkage setup with a brand new Axis is 7.5" with me on the bike and almost zero pre load, just enough to keep the spring tight. Axis did a good job sizing my rear spring.

hartwill
12-05-2012, 12:25 AM
I had the same problem with my axis rear shock.. their spring rates are off for the 250r. I called a few other places and they told me to run a 275lb spring. I also weigh about 160lbs and it put me right where i needed to be. and its not too soft either.. it actually made a world of difference. your spring rate may differ a little because i have a linkage.

D Bergstrom
12-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Just for comparison, when I had a stock frame with stock linkage, I was only running a 325 lb spring and I weigh 225 lbs without gear. Sounds like that spring you have is way to stiff.

Doug

89trx250r
12-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Axis can build anything you specify but if you leave it up to them it will be wrong 9 times out of 10...

bradenc19
12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
I have a no-link and i my weight without gear is 235. what size spring should i run. is set up gncc any help would be great full thanks

bradenc19
12-05-2012, 03:52 PM
for got tell you it is a elka shock 18in eye to eye but its not set up for me it is set up for gncc.

suspension101
12-05-2012, 05:32 PM
This is exactly how it works: When you order a shock from Axis they build the shocks to their closest known specs even if they don't have the exact spec for your bike. If you were to take them the bike then it would be done right. There is absolutely no way to have every spec for every bike. And if you have a different length swingarm on a bike with the same linkage it throws everything out the door and is very difficult to calculate.

Here is the easiest way to find out what the problem is and I'm sure they will be more than happy to fix it:

Raise the bike off the ground and measure from the top of the axle straight up to a point on the subframe directly above the axle. Then set the bike on the ground and you stand on the footpegs. Measure the same distance again. Subtract the 2nd measurement from the 1st measurement and this is your SAG. This should be right at 4.5" If lower than that number you need a softer spring and if higher you need a stiffer spring. These measurements should be taken with hardly any preload on the spring.

Now lets say your sag is correct then your shocks extended length is wrong. Let me know what your SAG comes out to be.

Meat
12-06-2012, 07:37 AM
would be nice if OP would answer some of the questions asked....

Chef
12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
A 400lb spring is crazy heavy for a stock length arm... I run a 500lb spring on a +8 and I weigh 230.

LRD-R
12-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey everyone thank so much for all the input n my height problem.checkn everything im thinkn its to much spring for my weight.

LRD-R
12-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey everyone sorry again about not getn back to ya im a union pipeliner in had to leave n been working 7 days a week with no internet.but i was able to measure shock in rear and matches stock.i know all my linkage is right cuz i bought quad new n 89.so of the ideas for me to check i cant do at the moment haveing new arms chromed in arlan at led is building me a powervalve 350 motor so i need motor back before measuring sag n race sag.once shes back together ill let u know wht i found out.n i talked to custom axis they was great n they well get me all fixed up.no charge.the guy i talkd to was good people.