PDA

View Full Version : Castle nut diameter?

yelian103
11-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Looking to buy a socket for the rear castle nut. The manual states every other possible nut on the bike except of course the castle nut. Anybody know the size? I'm assuming the front would be the same size. Thanks.

Stickman400
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
So your just wanting the metric size of the socket? The axle castle nut is 27mm, front hub nut is 22mm.

yelian103
11-29-2012, 09:52 AM
You're the man. Thanks for the quick reply. I'm replacing the rear bearings. I've loosened both axle nuts and taken out the clip and caliper/rotor. Are the bearings a ***** to pull? Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Stickman400
11-29-2012, 10:17 AM
They can be quite a pain if they have been in there awhile. Usually a long punch through the opposite side will do the trick. Some have had to use a special bearing puller tool.

deathman53
12-02-2012, 07:47 PM
there is what I do to replace the axle bearings. Heat up the center of the carrier with a torch, heat it evenly and never in one spot long. You will start to see grease bubbling, then a long punch and hammer will easily knock them out. Here is another trick, BEFORE you even remove the carrier, put the new bearings in the freezer for several hours. When you knock out the old bearings, quick clean the housing, reheat the carrier and the new bearings will drop it, DONT forget the tube in the center. After it cools put the seals in. Usually after you re-install the axle, ride it for several minutes and you will have to re-tighten the axle nut/anti-fade.

Drifterboy3
12-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I know tusk makes a bearing puller for doing just that. Also be carefull using a torch as you can warp and ruin the carrier IF done unevenly. Hot plates work quite well. And when reinstalling heat the carrier and bearings in the freezer and they should pretty much drop in. Also the you can use 1-1/16 sae socket

yelian103
12-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks fellas, dropped right in after a little while in the freezer.