PDA

View Full Version : DRX90 spark plug confusion

pacman
11-29-2012, 07:15 AM
I have the water cooled DRX90. I tried to get a spark plug for it at the local parts counter and they couldn't find the plug in their catalog. The plug that was in it is a BR8HSA. I took at look at the DRRINC.com Tech Q&A LINK (http://www.drrinc.com/spark_plug.html) and they had an article on the plug, but I don't understand what they're saying. I emailed them but haven't gotten a response. Does anyone here know what this means?

Are they saying that I should run a B8ES with 2 washers? or are they saying that I should run the BR8HSA with 2 washers? The BR8HSA that is in it now does not have 2 washers. Does anyone here have any insight?

Thanks!

nastynotchback1
11-29-2012, 07:55 AM
br8eix is what we run with the 1 washer it comes with.Ran this plug in every motor we have had.

otteboys
11-29-2012, 07:58 AM
You need to use 2 plug washers on the B8ES or BR8ES because it has longer threads. The electrode on the BR8HSA that they come with does not even come close to protruding into the combustion chamber like it should because it has shorter threads. You can take a washer off an old plug or you can buy plug indexing washers in various thicknesses.

pacman
11-29-2012, 08:02 AM
perfect! Thanks guys!

otteboys
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
I wasn't disagreeing with Nasty. You may not have to use the extra washer. I was just never brave enuff to try it. LOL

11-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I have tried and tested lots of plugs in air and water cooled motors.. All plugs I have listed have worked in both heads...

Ngk-
BPR7HS
BR7HS
B7HS
B8ES
BR8ES
BR8HSA
BR8EIX
e3 3.32

Some have worked better then others, but in a jam at the track, it's good to know what cross' incase in a jam and just need to finish.. The BR8EIX iridium plug and the e3 plug work the best and run about 100 degrees cooler then the rest. My buddy here at our local shop gave me the low down on plugs. I will find the sheet and pm it to you.. and forgot to mention never had to install another washer. With the proper squish test all have cleared the piston..

pacman
11-30-2012, 08:15 AM
wow.. 100 degrees cooler is a lot! That sounds like the best option.

hotquads1
11-30-2012, 08:41 AM
I don't think he is referring to the coolant temp being 100 degrees cooler but probably the exhaust gas temp.

pacman
11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
ok, thanks for the clarification. In any case, it still seems like a significant decrease. Would that translate to cooler running engine temps though? I'm assuming that cooler exhaust temps would mean cooler engine temps which would equate to cooler coolant? ... or no?

nastynotchback1
11-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by pacman
ok, thanks for the clarification. In any case, it still seems like a significant decrease. Would that translate to cooler running engine temps though? I'm assuming that cooler exhaust temps would mean cooler engine temps which would equate to cooler coolant? ... or no?

Yes but more than likely just a few degrees in coolant temps.

By the way i prefer the iridium plugs over a standard plug.All my motors seemed to run better and more crisp with them.