PDA

View Full Version : cvt clutch upgrade

lon
11-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Okay, I want to upgrade my sons clutch on his eton 90. Do I change everything at once or one pc at a time? What pieces should I start with. Any advise on which type to use or how to go about building a good clutch would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lonnie

LT80
11-29-2012, 06:45 AM
If your motor is stock, clutch mods don't do much.

nastynotchback1
11-29-2012, 08:00 AM
I would put on an aftermarket pipe such as the gen 2 hetrick pipe and then clutch it to the pipe.That was our first combo back in the day and it made a big difference.

lon
11-29-2012, 05:50 PM
The motor has been ported and polished,I put a different cylinder on it to make it a true 90cc. It has a rc motorsports pipe on it and a 24mm carb. The clutch is pretty much stock except for stiffer springs and I played with the weights a little. Nasty I like the set up you have on the 70 I bought from you. Could you give me a run down on the parts I need to copy that over to the 90.

11-29-2012, 08:18 PM
I run a adjustable Malossi Delta clutch w/1500 rpm spring and Malossi variator w/ 2.5 gr waits and a 780 belt. This set up works very well. I adjust it all too the track he is running, so it varies at time's. There is a ton of options out there thoe... And most good clutch set up's complete from front to back will run you between 200 and 300...

nastynotchback1
11-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Which motor did i sell you?The air cooled Malossi or the water cooled Stage 6?

From scratch i would start with a 2000 torque spring and stage 6 rear clutch.Set the stall to around 7500 rpm and try 5.0 rollers first.See what happens and go from there.Are you running a over range kit or stock variator and rear pully?

lon
11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
air cooled everything is stock

fomospede
11-30-2012, 07:51 AM
carbs to small
we run just under a 30mm with our 70cc
no need to buy an expensive clutch that yamisida will hit good
but i do prefer the stage 6 for ease of adjustment
i would do it all at once
otherwise youll be pulling hair timt after time!
not really they are fairly simple

make sure your belt rides the variator within 1/8'' of the top edge

lon
11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
fomospede I like the idea of an adjustable clutch too,changing those little shoe springs is a pain. Is stage-6 the way to? How about the front variator, whats the advantage of overrange and should I buy a slipper clutch or slipper sprocket? Would a 28mm work?What brand? Is there a certian type of intake that is perferred? Sorry for all the ?s.

fomospede
11-30-2012, 02:36 PM
get the rt bell you can tension shoe springs via holes in outer ring
28 would be fine we run pwks get a original ,not the OKO
koso intake
vforce reed maybe?
slipper clutch ,yes
i have a new one that i would sell ,minus clutch
overange changes the gear ratio as well as is a bit larger so theres a bit more speed available if tuned

lon
12-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Okay, so I need an rt bell. Do I get a stage 6 clutch to go with it,is the stage 6 a slipper or is that an add on.
Thanks,
Lonnie

nastynotchback1
12-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by lon
Okay, so I need an rt bell. Do I get a stage 6 clutch to go with it,is the stage 6 a slipper or is that an add on.
Thanks,
Lonnie

If you get a slipper clutch you will need the big clutch.I think it's a 109mm and you will have no need for the r/t bell because the slipper has it's own bell that you have to use.

thequadfather+2
12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
If you order a slipper clutch kit from Max RPM, Hot Quads or G-Force it will come with everything you need. Bell, clutch, spacer, disc/pads, pressure washer, ect. You should not have to order anything seperate or any additional parts for it.

lon
12-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to take it to a builder thats around here and let him tune it for me. You guys make this stuff seem so simple,I hate guessing and thats all I seem to be doing lately.
Thanks,
Lonnie