PDA

View Full Version : 450r fan problem

rwhitaker04
11-27-2012, 09:49 PM
i have a 450r i think someone cobbled the main harness together...

i cant get the fan to run

it works as i have hooked up a battery source...

i have grounded the sender wire off the thermostat housing

i have tried to ground the fan wire..

i have tried to tap into another wire..

i need help and if anyone has an actual picture of the way it should be hard wired

rwhitaker04
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
nobody has any help?

i have even tried to connect the green wire and black and white together and the quad will not start..but if i put it back to the switch it will start...

its about time for gas and a lighter...and watch it burn

2001400exrida
11-30-2012, 07:56 AM
are you sure it's not working properly? These fans don't run that often, in fact unless it's a hot summer day my fan won't run at all. When it does run it's in short spurts. My yfz fan on the other hand runs non stop.

R3Concepts
11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
As soon as you ground the wire from the temp sensor it will come on, it will turn on the temp sensor light but it will come on. If it doesn't you have another wiring issue somewhere.

rwhitaker04
11-30-2012, 09:30 AM
yea ive grounded the temp sensor, hooked black/white to green and red to black and quad wont even start...hook it back up normal and bam 1 kick shes running. i ordered a replacement harness..i hope its the problem..my headlights only work when i pull in clutch and rev it up..they arent even dim and get brighter..just off...and ive let it idle til it got good and hot...so i know the fans should kick on...

suspension101
12-01-2012, 06:21 AM
If the key switch has been removed from the bike then this is your problem most likely. The fan gets its DC power through this switch. If someone has unplugged the key switch from the harness the bike will still start and run. I believe you need to jump the black and red wires together where the key switch plugged in to get it to work again.

rwhitaker04
12-01-2012, 06:54 AM
Key switch still hooked up.

fomospede
12-01-2012, 08:25 AM
ive looked at the schematic before seems like the fan does run thru the key switch
there should be power at the fan at all times
and the sensor closes to make the ground
1 with a test light check for power at the fan if not remedy that
2 check the ground at the sensor by putting probe on the sensor

im wondering if sensor isnt grounding into the engine? sealer or tape stopping continuity?

ride red 14
12-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I had a wire break coming out of the rectifier plug one time that caused my fan not to work. Took me forever to find it. Might check there.

rwhitaker04
12-01-2012, 12:44 PM
harness number 2....

still no fan

i also get no headlight

i tested the plug that plugs into the headlight/run stop harness...

power at plug but still headlights wont come on..

what do i do to get rid of the run stop switch and headlight switch on handle bars...

i have no power at the fan plug either....somewhere im losing power to the accessories...

ive read that headlight switch is what the power runs threw to get to the fan? any truth to that. and if so...what do i get rid of to bypass the switch like asked above

fomospede
12-02-2012, 08:13 AM
how r u checking for power?
while machine is running?
check the side of the sensor on the thread for ground
and heat the sensor up with heat gun and make sure when hot it makes continuity

suspension101
12-02-2012, 08:19 AM
This is VERY simple to check. with the bike running probe the red wire at the Reg/Rectifier. If power there then unplug the key switch from the harness and check the red wire for power. If power there then plug it back in and check for power on the black wire at the fan plug. Find out where you loose it and where you had the power at the last check point and your problem is between the two.

rwhitaker04
12-02-2012, 05:22 PM
It was a faulty condenser. Put a used on it and bam she works