PDA

View Full Version : hybrid build questions

mikecole
11-25-2012, 09:07 AM
i have been kicking around the idea of a mass produced hybrid atv type store to by atvs of course i would build them and sell them there would be 3 base models plus customer custom models as well just wondering out loud

skyeryder
11-25-2012, 09:34 AM
$$$$$$$ Needs to be something people can afford, youth quads also????

blacknblue#2
11-25-2012, 09:43 AM
I hope it works out for you but all I can say is good luck. I would call someone like Walsh and see if someone will talk to ya. Ask them how many units they have sold. They are a top name in the business. If they were backed out the door with ppl wanting a hybrid then I would say you would have a chance but I don't think they are. I would start small. Build a hybrid and take it everywhere to show it off. Just since ive built mine ive had several ppl talked into building one until i tell them what it would cost for me to do it. And that's with me using mostly oem components. Not full aftermarket chassis builds. 2000-2001 you woulda had more work than you can do. I would wait and see what the sport does. Just my .02 cents

mikecole
11-25-2012, 10:02 AM
great points everyone no youth quads right now though and i thing i can add is that the frames would come from leagers and walsh so you can say you adding the middle man to build your atv instead of your self also i know no one can afford a 15,000 to 18,000 dollar atv so i was considering a payment plan or running the atv through a bank like a big company does

CJM
11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
I dont think it would work. You would need a good bunch of orders to start with. Otherwise you could wind up sitting on your arse all day wondering how your gonna pay the rent.

Instead I would try and get the word out you can repair whatever people need and do custom work if they want. Then offer to build hybrids on the side. This way you build a customer base with regular repairs but also offer the custom stuff to those who want.

JOHNDOE83
11-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I built a simple hybrid conversion, it was fairly easy and kinda low budget.

I now am in the process of building a new custom cut stock frame for the hybrid I already built.

It can be done fairly quick time wise but the extent of minor details and custom made parts will eat up most of your time.

Im sure once youve built one the rest will go together easily and you can produce custom quads fairly quick.

The only problem I see is that once a budget minded price tag of $4000+++ how fast can you sell it and how high is the local area demand for hybrid race type ATV's.

Another thing is how fast and regularly can you get the motors for the hybrids, the quality of the motor will be different each time because of used parts being used in different ways. This would also effect the time and repair costs for each build.

I would also like to have the same thing :D The best option is to have a motorcycle/atv repair shop that sometimes builds and sells custom atv's.

The market for used hybrids is kinda weak, new hybrids are built in house by sponsered riders, sometimes they are built by garage gear heads as a project.

I just dont see anyone buying a quad for that much just to race, if they need that they are probaly sponsered racers anyway.

mikecole
11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
the 3 base models i would build are the most popular right of course i would love to try the ktm 350 in a quad and the kx 250f as well

2009-2013 crf 450 engine suzuki plastic walsh framed
2002-2008 crf 450 engine honda 250r plastic walsh framed
2000-2002 yz 426 engine honda 250r plastic leager framed

honda250xrider
11-27-2012, 11:09 AM
so you are really just trying to be the middle man and build these quads and then resell them? Unless you have a customer already wanting to buy it I would say do not even waste your time building them and then trying to sell them.

You also have to consider if you are trying to piece togethe old walsh chassis that they may need reconditioning. If you buy a used hybrid to recondition and resell just remember that the motor will more than likely need a major overhaul, new bearings, etc.

I just don't see a market that supports 9k+ quads. Maybe in a few years....