PDA

View Full Version : Best Desert Quad

Rohr397
11-24-2012, 01:47 AM
So I've always been a motocross guy, but over the past year I haven't been to a single track and I've spent my time doing desert riding and fifth gear trails in the woods, and because of that my 400ex motor took the most epic shart of epic sharts. Everything from the valves down is blue and gold from heat and pitted out and charred, it's destroyed. Because of that I parted it out, probably only gonna get $2500 if I'm lucky when I'm 100% done, most likely a few bucks less though, and I'm wondering what quad I can buy that isn't gonna die on me for this type of riding. Cause in addition to the engine I mangled the frame, turned out I tacoed almost the entire left side of the bottom of it, cracked it in three places and bent the front end up 1/4 inch on the right side.

I'm just trying to figure out what to buy that won't die cause obviously I'm not loaded with money and I want to be able to do a lot of riding with minimal breakdowns. It really frustrates me when I'm dealing with a broken quad more than a running one because I go too hard on my stuff.

I've been told to look at z400's which I know nothing about, I had good luck with my last trx450r but I am much more aggressive now, and there's others I know can take it but I can't afford much. It doesn't need to be the best of the best race quad but it needs to handle pretty darn well, have good power all around cause I hate slow acceleration, and most importantly get me from point A to point B whenever, wherever without a problem while delivering a packet full of epicsauce.

I know that is like asking for a unicorn, but there's gotta be something out there for a B class kinda guy who wants to enjoy riding at it's full potential without dealing with all the big breakdowns like a broken casing, frame, motor or something like that.

Muchas Gracias.

OutlawBill
11-24-2012, 09:58 AM
TRX 450 with the best shocks you can afford

Zakradu398
11-25-2012, 03:37 PM
this http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=158784

/thread

CJM
11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I prefer the handing of the 250r/400ex/04-05 450r. Long travel everything, +2 arms and + axle and you got sweet setup.