PDA

View Full Version : Plastic ReNew Question

J51S
11-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I picked up a set of Black FullBore plastics for my hybrid. I got them at a decent price but there a little scratched.

After researching I really need to know what works the best I don't care how long it takes.

There's plastic renew-heat gun technique- someone said a company called Nova makes plastic shine and its awesome. But I'm yet to find a link to that.

Any help would be great!

croat1
11-23-2012, 11:05 PM
hope this helps you out...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429132&highlight=grit

ytman
11-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks croat1. I know it helped me out. Does anybody know if graphics stick to the Renewed plastic or should I shine only the exposed areas

punk rock kiel
11-24-2012, 09:16 AM
plastic renew takes more upkeep than most people wanna do for a quad unless you like to just show it.
you cant wash the quad with anything harsh or let any chemicals get on the plastic or it tears the coating off
you have to reapply everytime after you wash the quad

skraut
11-24-2012, 10:59 AM
get some silkolene pro prep, spray on , its like wd40 but much less of a mess, if you plan on actually riding or working on your quad the plastic renew is to much of a pain, you would be better of clearing the plastic with a proper plastic clear coat paint if you eally want a shiney tough finish, cause basically thats all plastic renew is, a wipe on clear coat, but it isnt tough enough, just speaking from experience

C-LEIGH RACING
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
This is quick, easy & cheap.

Once you have everything complete, wash it good, let it dry & put all the decals on.
Then go to Lowes Building Supply & go to the cleaning products row & look for one of two floor wax products, called Red Max or either Zep.
Both of these are a floor wax, clear & drys hard & will provide a shine.
Your looking around 16 bucks a gallon for the Red Max & around 24 for the Zep High Gloss.

You'll need to apply at least 4 coats with a new lint free cloth squeezed out good, because your applying micro coats. Apply a coat, wait a few minutes, then another.
By the time you have the fourth coat on, you'll think someone has painted it with clear coat & when you get to checking, you wont be used but a couple oz of the stuff.

I use it on my daughters 250R with Laker Customs plastic that are 5 years old & it looks brand spanking new.
I also use it on the outsides of our motorhome, makes the old 99 girl like like its has a new paint job.
Theres many others that use this stuff on their motorhomes as well as boat owners & has been used for years.
No car wax will even come close to the look it will provide for something old & faded out.

OHHHH, get you some of those thin rubber gloves to put on, cause for some reason a man just dont look right with shinnie finger nails afterwards.

Our motorhome, first time I put it on was 3 years ago, still shinning today.
If you dont believe what I'm saying, go to IRV2.com or RV.Net, either one of those sites & do a search for Red Max.
Neil

J51S
11-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the replies! I love this site.

C-LEIGH RACING I'm going to take your advice and try that I have used floor wax before and it can deff take some abuse I mean its made for people to walk on :cool:

Thanks again

C-LEIGH RACING
11-25-2012, 08:51 AM
The Red Max product, might be hard to find, Lowes was closing it out, that was a Lowes brand name & switching over to the Zep brand name.
Zep was the company made the Red Max for Lowes & was the same product as the Zep High Gloss finish, onl difference is the price, 16 bucks for the Red Max or 24 bucks for the Zep.

It takes so little of the stuff, because your applying micro coats, that one gallon will go a long ways.
Did our 32' motorhome, both sides & the front & rear cap & only took like 1/4 of a gallon.
Shucks, my old 89 Ford shop pickup, faded all out & rusty, put some on it in some spots, I didnt know it was painted matalic blue, Red Max brought the real look of the paint back.

J51S,
In your sig, whats the deal on the TRX450 ??, you still have that engine ?.
Neil

J51S
11-25-2012, 03:29 PM
C-LEIGH RACING- is it a bad idea to clear it then add a graphics kit, or do graphics first?

I still have the motor its going to be built soon. Its out of my 400 hybrid. Its going in the 250R chassis.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I would clean the plastic good, put on the graphics first, then the floor wax.

I've not put any decals on after the floor wax was put on, so cant say if it would be bad or not.

I know once the decals are on & stuck good, that floor wax will seal them around the edges.
Neil