PDA

View Full Version : Choke Wants To Come On?

Drfat400ex
11-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey guys, so I had to buy another carb for my machine because the stop on the last one for the idle snapped off the casting, making it die whenever you let off. So I bought a used one off of a 99-04 (Told me it was off an 07 but it was obviously not once I got into it), works great. Only problem is that the choke keeps creeping on just a little bit, on the old one it was a little stiff to push like it should be and would sort of click into place at no choke, 3/4 and full choke, this one you can't feel it click in there and it's fairly loose too. As soon as you turn the choke off, you'll feel down two seconds later and there it is about an 1/8 on, just enough to bog, sometimes it gets right up to half. So I put a spring around the lever to hold it back, which is working fine but it's still a major pain. Any ideas of what needs replacing in there to get it working right? I do have an entire parts carb from my old one so getting my hands on things shouldn't be hard, just wanna know what I'm doing before I go tearing in there. Thanks!

dxcody
11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
There is a steel plate and screw that hold your choke lever on. Make sure that plate is clean!

That plate can get all nasty, and that little metal plate is what holds the choke in the right position.

There is a little bubble type deal on the choke lever, and 3 notches on the plate.

So make sure that screw is tight and the plate and choke lever are clean!

buck440
11-24-2012, 09:32 AM
i used string to hold mine. you talking about the yellow lever?

01 400EXer
11-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Take the silver plate off and bend it in a little so it puts a little more pressure on the yellow lever. When you take the plate off you will see that it already has a slight bend in it. I had the same issue and that is what I did and it seemed to help and the lever seems to work a lot better.

Drfat400ex
11-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks guys I'll try it when I put my new throttle cable on, and yes I'm talking about the yellow choke lever.