PDA

View Full Version : My Grooved Tamers

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 01:12 PM
i was bored so i decided to groove my tamers while my quad is apart i searched some threads and found a pattern i liked heres some pics, my hands are killing :o

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 01:15 PM

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 01:15 PM
oops i missed two there at the bottom..lol, figures i miss one row and i end up taking a pic of it :rolleyes: :blah

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 01:17 PM
another

ny300exrider
03-12-2003, 01:19 PM
looks awsome...that looks like its gonna work awsome..i may do that when i get my turfs.what did you use..thanks alot john

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 01:23 PM
there called tile nippers but when i first got them they didn't close all the way so i had to grind down the two stoppers on the grip there so that it would close all the way to cut the knobs off..after that they worked great, took a bit of time, and i still got another tire to do, my hands are killing me cause it takes a good 4-5 clips per knob to cut it completly off, its a good thing i got a brother to do the other tire :p

Razorback
03-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
there called tile nippers but when i first got them they didn't close all the way so i had to grind down the two stoppers on the grip there so that it would close all the way to cut the knobs off..after that they worked great, took a bit of time, and i still got another tire to do, my hands are killing me cause it takes a good 4-5 clips per knob to cut it completly off, its a good thing i got a brother to do the other tire :p

LOL. That's funny, because that's exactly how I grooved my first set. My hands were killing me after it, too. I'll let you in on a secret. Go to a horse supply store and get a pair of hoof clippers. They are very similar to the tile nippers, but they are a little bigger, and the handles are several inches longer. The ends are big enough to cut an entire knob with one clip, and since the handles are longer, it takes almost no energy to cut them, thus saving your hands :D

Also, a good trick is to go ahead and mount the wheels, raise the back of the quad, put it in neutral and spin the wheels after every few rows you cut off.

mxdave28
03-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Razorback is right! horse clippers or nippers(actuall name), i asked mom if we still had a set and she said yes i just bought new ones and there in the barn....Whooo Hoooo brand new nippers and i steal them for racing!!! hahahaha, Horses get left overs. work awsome!!! i did mine while they were mounted on the quad on my table much easier!! and it took my 20 mins to do both tires even though i onlt did a single groove instead of the double such as you did....good luck! oh yea, the brother idea is good!

P.S. there are couple styles and a major price difference in nippers so kinda watch what your buying...we buy the good ones cause we cut alot of hoofs during the year. here is a pic of my nippers.

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 03:12 PM
thanks for the tip Razorback and mxdave28 but i live on long island and there are no horse stores anywhere near here....maybe ill get in touch with you when i get my next set and i can send you some money for those horse clippers sounds like they work great ;)

NTPRacing#19
03-12-2003, 03:17 PM
get a heated knife its much easier and quicker.

Doibugu2
03-12-2003, 03:20 PM
Horse store, thats funny. Those must be right next to Home Depot.:eek2: Never even knew they had such a place.

Quad Trix, what is the advantage of doing that?

Razorback
03-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Usually, any farm supply store will carry horse tack (or horse supplies). They will have it, or I'm sure there are dozens of places on the net you can order one. I got one at a flea market for $15.

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Horse store, thats funny. Those must be right next to Home Depot.:eek2: Never even knew they had such a place.

Quad Trix, what is the advantage of doing that?

they will hook up better in loose conditions, they should scoop more :D :macho

mxdave28
03-12-2003, 04:35 PM
yep, better traction so they say....i could never figure it out though....remove tread creates better traction?? ok, if ya say so hahahaha:p Hey if the Pros are doing it, it must do something right?? and they come up with some very strange grooves too.

Well ya a actuall "tire groover" would be easier hehehee, i do believe White Bros. sells them for 75 bucks?? last time i checked.

muff
03-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by mxdave28
yep, better traction so they say....i could never figure it out though....remove tread creates better traction?? ok, if ya say so hahahaha:p Hey if the Pros are doing it, it must do something right?? and they come up with some very strange grooves too.

think about it for a sec., say you have a completely smooth tire, you then cut 1" wide groves 1/2" deep across the whole tire...you are removing tread and getting more traction

the tamers have a very close tread pattern and without it they're not getting enough of a bit, kinda similar to the smooth tire but not that dirastic

ny300exrider
03-12-2003, 05:12 PM
if you look at it close it actually forms small "paddles" so that would hook up better in loose stuff.it takes out all the closlely packed treads and spaces them out.

flying400ex
03-12-2003, 08:51 PM
Most people groove them because it will help it grip better in loose dirt and if you ride hard packed it is best to leave them ungrooved.

TRX250XFIRE
03-12-2003, 11:07 PM
It helps clean the mud and what not out of them, i did it to my 18''s, does anyone have a pattern for 20 inchers cause i just bought a set of those on beedlocks and im going to grove those to.

QuadTrix6
03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by TRX250XFIRE
It helps clean the mud and what not out of them, i did it to my 18''s, does anyone have a pattern for 20 inchers cause i just bought a set of those on beedlocks and im going to grove those to.

yip :D

Chanman420q
03-14-2003, 09:42 AM
has anyone ever tried cutting out every other row? creating almost like a realitor type pattern? wonder how that would work?