PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on '05 450r

03trx400
11-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Hey all, I'm looking to make a purchase monday and would really like to hear from some 450 owners how the motors hold up on them. I'm looking at a 2005 kick start model that is stock except for rims/tires and an aftermarket hood and light setup. From the pictures it looks like its in pretty good shape and the guy said it starts first kick but it's definitely been ridden the rear skid is worn away at the chain. Other than this i'm looking at a almost new '04 predator and a almost new '05 kfx 400... just wondering what you guys think i won't be home to ride it much and really want to know its gonna be in working order when i am home.

Thanks

fomospede
11-17-2012, 09:52 PM
the 04 05 is the staple of the industry
for the price point you cannot beat the dependability and replacement parts are readily available everywhere

CJM
11-18-2012, 12:49 AM
Well this is a honda site lol, so opinions will be biased.

That being said, I LOVE my 04 kicker. About the only thing to really watch out for on them are:
-binding kickers which can cause the case to crack. If it isnt easy to kick run away b/c it needs repair. it should kick over with minimal effort

-bad cranks. Unfortunately a number of hondas left the factory with bad cranks. Its kinda like a ticking timebomb but you only hear of course about the bad ones generally. Basically theres an updated crank assy and bearings to use, if you crack open the motor its best to check and replace if needed. You can tell its going back cause the oil will have bronze looking specs in it.

-Cracked cases by the front sprocket. idiots dont adjust the chain, chain snaps, binds whatever and cracks the case. Result is either you weld the case or you buy anew case and tear the motor apart.

-Valve need to be maintained and adjusted. Unlike your 400ex the valves need to be periodically shimmed/checked and also replaced after some time. It isnt really that bad.

Otherwise the 04/05 has a stronger trans, I feel an easier carb to tune (although not as powerful as later 450s), better turning radius and I like the ride better than the newer ones. Also they are WAY easier to get started than an electric start. The electric start is very finicky, can sometimes take awhile to start-if the 04/05 is setup right 1-2 kicks it fires right up.

GOOD LUCK!

fultz416ex
11-18-2012, 01:04 AM
i have an 04 and have never opened the the bottom end up. 8 yrs of riding and racing with top end work and still running like a champ! just maintain it and it should be fine. good luck with your purchase.

fomospede
11-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Well this is a honda site lol, so opinions will be biased.

That being said, I LOVE my 04 kicker. About the only thing to really watch out for on them are:
-binding kickers which can cause the case to crack. If it isnt easy to kick run away b/c it needs repair. it should kick over with minimal effort

-bad cranks. Unfortunately a number of hondas left the factory with bad cranks. Its kinda like a ticking timebomb but you only hear of course about the bad ones generally. Basically theres an updated crank assy and bearings to use, if you crack open the motor its best to check and replace if needed. You can tell its going back cause the oil will have bronze looking specs in it.

-Cracked cases by the front sprocket. idiots dont adjust the chain, chain snaps, binds whatever and cracks the case. Result is either you weld the case or you buy anew case and tear the motor apart.

-Valve need to be maintained and adjusted. Unlike your 400ex the valves need to be periodically shimmed/checked and also replaced after some time. It isnt really that bad.

Otherwise the 04/05 has a stronger trans, I feel an easier carb to tune (although not as powerful as later 450s), better turning radius and I like the ride better than the newer ones. Also they are WAY easier to get started than an electric start. The electric start is very finicky, can sometimes take awhile to start-if the 04/05 is setup right 1-2 kicks it fires right up.

the kicker problem ive had no issue with but i roll it over to the right part of the stroke so it starts without kicking back

the cranks are fine in the first models honda assembled the crank bearings wrong putting a side load on the bearing hurting the bearing race
mine was one of them
all that was replaced was the bearings and i have nearly 400 hrs on it since with zero problems
as for the 06 up models they are finicky but the 24volt start setup fixs that!
as for the valve adjustments it is a race vehicle and this should be looked at every 10 hours or so
air filter maintenance is huge on how often if its got a KN filter your screwed!

comparing it to the 400ex is sad !they may not need valve adj. but as i go by them racing i know it by the smell of burnt oil from the rings everytime !!

im not picking a fight but remember that the other machines you mentioned have quirks too

once again it is the staple of the industry!!!!

GOOD LUCK! :p :p

CJM
11-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
:p :p

Good info too! :D

K-Dub
11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by fultz416ex
i have an 04 and have never opened the the bottom end up. 8 yrs of riding and racing with top end work and still running like a champ! just maintain it and it should be fine. good luck with your purchase.

I also have an 04 that the cases have never been split, 8 years old. Doing the first top end now and the cylinder looks brand new. Change your oil and filter often, every 4 to 8 rides and it will last a long time. The engine holds less than 1 quart of oil so it thrashes the oil fast. I have only ever put Amsoil in my R.

luigi
11-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I own an 04 trx450 and also a 04 Predator. Both are great machines so it kind of depends on your riding style. The Predator although not quite as fast as the 450 is much more trail friendly. It is much more fun for a long day of riding, now on a track it's a different story. I also have a banshee that gives me a grin everytime I ride it..:D

Scro
11-22-2012, 09:50 AM
I think you would be much happier with the honda. There are so many spare parts out there, it would be cheaper and easier to find replacement parts if you break something. I can't remember the last time I saw someone riding a predator.