PDA

View Full Version : Decent dual-sport!

riley1374
11-17-2012, 10:44 AM
I wish honda would come out with a decent dual sport like a 250x or 450x made for street. What do you guys think would make a better back road commuter 15 miles each way and some fire roads, the wr250x or DRZ?

quad2xtreme
11-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by riley1374
I wish honda would come out with a decent dual sport like a 250x or 450x made for street. What do you guys think would make a better back road commuter 15 miles each way and some fire roads, the wr250x or DRZ?

The CRF250L isn't to your liking? I'd never really studied the dual sports to know the differences between the manufacturer's offerings in this category.

I did look this one up and saw it weighs 320 lbs. Ouch...I never take it in the trails where I ride my bike.

finsteratv
11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
What are the speeds on these road like? and just fire roads or any trails? how big are ya? DRZ is pretty good all around..Yamaha 250 is kinda ehh when you get up in speed. Personally I'd look for a street legal XR.

rf928
11-17-2012, 04:38 PM
A real great bike as a dual sport is the KTM350EXC. Not exactly a road bike though, but real fun in the bush.

I'm sure a guy could get a road-legal kit for a 250x, look on Rocky Mountain ATV. They make them for Yamaha's.

riley1374
11-17-2012, 05:08 PM
200lbs with gear, 6ft. Not really into the crf230 or crf250. Honda needs to come out with a 450 dual sport. Roads will be 50-60, but no higher.

riley1374
11-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by rf928
A real great bike as a dual sport is the KTM350EXC. Not exactly a road bike though, but real fun in the bush.

I'm sure a guy could get a road-legal kit for a 250x, look on Rocky Mountain ATV. They make them for Yamaha's.

NJ laws suckkkk! Impossible to get something converted that does not already have a NJ tag.

finsteratv
11-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I think a DRZ would be just about perfect, theyre pretty street friendly and their aftermarket is very broad! I'd almost consider an older XR 600 in nice shape..Thats what im considering doing. Reliable, somewhat cheap..And a nice big bore motor.

JOHNDOE83
11-19-2012, 05:32 AM
XR650R comes street legal and is a BADAZZ bike.

XR650L is also a BADAZZ bike.

650r has the allum frame and water cooled.

650l is aircooled and steel frame.

Both can be bought on craigslist for $2500-$3500

There is also a street legal crf450 I think, it may be a kit tho.

For someone 6ft and 200lbs with gear the 650r or 650l is your best bet.

fastredrider44
11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Street legal KTM ftw!

riley1374
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Street legal KTM ftw!

Thats what I was thinking, but heard the KTM's were not that great on the road. More of a dirtbike with a plate on it. Are they reliable, a lot of maintenance?

deathman53
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
street legal ktm's are great, there is just MUST do things before you can ride it in the dirt. They come so chocked up, it s not funny. The main things are get rid of the plumbing for the catch can, plug up the hose for it in the head and re-route the vent lines for the carb, get better suited jetting in it, I think it has a throttle stop screw, usable off-road gearing(15-45 isn't very usable, nor can the motor pull it very good), cut out the baffle inside a baffle in the pipe and before you even think of riding it off-road, replace the tail-light and plate holder and remove the insta-break blinkers and those huge mirrors.

Every street legal model has things that need to go immetiately, most times is the jetting, gearing, blinkers/street equip and some even have catch can/canisters that hang in really bad places when riding in the woods or hoses that get caught in brush easily.

Then you have Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki ones that have metal gas tanks, HUGE blinkers and mirrors, insanely lean jetting and seam to weight 100lbs over what the ktm/husaberg/husky and gasgas models weight.

If it were me, I would buy a 02-07 ktm 400-520/525 exc or xc model, plate it in another state(or if your state will allow it) or buy one with a plate on it already(there are tons out there). Put suitable tires on for your needs(or get another set of wheels w/ street tires), flush mount blinkers, slim tail light/plate holder, cut bars down to 30", bark busters, good headlight and bare minimum street legal needs and you have a great bike that you can take on quad width trails, tight single track, road and everything in between.

Hondamaster5505
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM
My buddy has a 2012 DR650 Suzuki (big bore air cooled) with a full FMF exhaust and jetted and it's a fun bike. Not the fastest but makes a ton of torque and feels very light for what it is. Rides nice on the street as well and it kept up with our group of bikes on highway cruises.

fastredrider44
11-26-2012, 04:30 PM
For the record, I ride an 04 525EXC, currently with sumo wheels and tires, but still have the dirt tires too. Mine has proven to be very reliable with little maintenance, but I do take care of my stuff meticulously. They are a dirtbike with a plate, and have a much stiffer suspension than all of the other true dualsports available, but I wouldn't give mine up if I was ever planning on doing any sort of off road. With the dirt tires, I was good on the road for about 30 miles tops. With the sumo wheels, I can ride for 60 miles before I want to take a break. Good roads are fun. Fast straight roads get old quick. But if you plan on hitting any dirt with yours, the ktm is my choice. I would highly suggest you ride a couple of bikes before taking the plunge and buying one of your own.