PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy '05-'06 z

03trx400
11-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I know there's probably a hundred topics on a z vs a 450 vs a pred etc. but i'd like your guys take for my situation. i've been riding a piped 400ex for the past 4 or 5 years last year i blew the tranny in it and decided to put a '99 kx250 engine in it. it runs and rides right now but is years from being a machine i want to bring on the trails. i'm away for work now and only get home every month or 2 but want something reliable that i know will be ready to go when i am able to get back. right now i've been looking at a couple z/kfx 400's '05 or newer as i think that anything older is waste of money. predator '04 or newer because i'd rather not have a bad tranny and 450's but am kind of sketched out about with my price range. i'd like to spend no more than 2500 and am in upstate new york, what do you guys think?

p.s. would never have considered a polaris before but after some research i read that it basically had a suzuki engine in it and was fairly over built. but definitely want the most reliable option while still being a step above a air cooled ex

03trx400
11-17-2012, 05:19 PM
so far ive found a
-04 predator base model that still has original tires looks very nice shape for 2600 stock
-05 kfx 400 with also stock tires and an aftermarket axle that i can probably get for 2300-2400 otherwise stock
-05 trx450r with aftermarket wheels and tires otherwise stock but has definitely been ridden more than the others still looks pretty good though for 2500.

Other than that there's a couple predators which have been ridden a little more than that one for about the same price range...any suggestions? only thing im worried about with the 450 is maybe its got less life left in the motor than the others but without that as a factor id definitely like to get to a 450 just dont want to have to tear anything apart.

Thanks, Matt

sand_blaster
11-17-2012, 10:38 PM
On the 450, see if the crank bearings have been replaced or not. Some people had luck,some haven't. Z400's/kfx's are good quads & can be built up to be competitive with most 450's & are just as reliable. But whichever quad you choose will be a great choice..