PDA

View Full Version : Ims 440 Kit

e gracie
03-12-2003, 08:01 AM
after reading many posts an few other coments striped it down and found piston sitting approx 28thou below ..am i right in removing this amount an then re building with 3 piece gasket machined to suit .

ie piston should run flush with top off barrel prior to fitting head gasket.& not sitting below. as is at the mo.
was going to remove 30 thou from deck an run the base gasket that came with the ims kit.
as it was. i was only getting 90psi reading pretty naff in my book.

am i on the right track with this prior to going on??
many trhanx in advance.eg

03-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Your thinking is pretty close

Deff check out a thread called "have you decked the cylinder" and it will give you a lot of info.

By your post I am not sure if you have the IMS kit installed, in your possesion or are thinking on buying it so I am going to try to cover all the angles for you. And I am assumeing you have a 440 kit.

The problem with the kits (I hear this is changing but am not sure)is the piston to deck heights are way too low and the comp suffers as a result.

The easiest way to up the comp is to use the thinner cometic gaskets. This will effectively gain about .023 (thinner by .008 base and .015 head gaskets) and bring things to a more acceptable range.

The newer pistons from Ross (I would include weisco but I dont know about their newer stuff and I have eliminated J&E due to the fact they dont offer much in the 440 bore range since they are selling allmost exclusivly to white brothers on this size) do address this issue and will cure the problem easily by just installing one and adjusting the gasket thickness to suit your actuall compression requirements. They also have a great online comp calculator that will help a lot.

If you have the parts installed allready and dont want to be buying more parts you could have the cylinder decked and/or use the thinner gaskets to get things to where you would like, but remember when its time to rebuild and move up to the next overbore you will be left with the newer designed pistons that will send the compression up considerably and will then be looking at using thicker gaskets to keep the comp lower.

Hope that helps and read that thread.

e gracie
03-12-2003, 08:57 AM
thanx for imput i have allready got liner installed an it was not performing to well. and am just about to get it decked 30 thou an will run base gasket. fingers crossed job, at least i can allways laser cut out a copper gasket to suit base if i do get it wrong . so i am not to worried there. good choice off metal thickness there if all goes bad.

i have read thread on decking plenty imfo there. but got lost in it all to be honest. aftyer few hrs...pretty sure i am on the right route noticed u r jetting issues also got to try an get that right also when dun next mission after this bit...

e gracie
03-12-2003, 01:00 PM
nicely machined an back on engine block.piston sitting 8 thou below top off liner, now with the head gasketin between the head an barrel i ope the valves arent going to smack me piston withg MX cam.. if i dry run every thing first with some putty in valve dents wat shoukld i be looking for? 16thou or so?pretty same as car engine tolerance.

e gracie
03-13-2003, 04:21 AM
just browsing the forums yet again.noticed comments on fitting o ring on barrel. should this be done as i dont even remember seeing 1 let alone fitted it an run it for 6 mths with no problems. never got one with ims kit either. any imfo gr8tly appreciated,

e gracie
03-13-2003, 12:52 PM
bump with a pretty please.....

lex luger
03-13-2003, 02:13 PM
IMS :rolleyes: