PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

dxcody
11-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Why will a chain tighten itself when the quad is pulled backwards?

When I pull it backwards by the grab bar, the chain gets really tight and hard to move the machine..

But when you push it forward it is fine?

Make any sense?

Bearing carrier going out ?

DnB_racing
11-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Why will a chain tighten itself when the quad is pulled backwards?

When I pull it backwards by the grab bar, the chain gets really tight and hard to move the machine..

But when you push it forward it is fine?

Make any sense?

Bearing carrier going out ? your sure the slack just isn't on the bottom?

if it is truly tight all around, then yes there is a good chance there is a bad carrier bearing, or your sprockets are very badly worn,

DragonGunner
11-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Its probably not the chain, its the brakes shoes or likely the brake rotor. Shoes get worn moving it forward, sometime I have a bent rotor an pulling it backwards it tightens up....appears the chain is getting tighter, but its the brake system.

To check bearings, raise the rear wheels off ground an grab the axle on both sides an push pull the axle up an down forward an back, should be no play. Another way is ride awhile, an touch the swingarm around the bearing area....cold is good, hot is bad, burned fingers real bad.

dxcody
11-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Well it was on that YFZ that I raced at the ironman (yes I use this as an all around forum.. So what, sue me! :) )

Turns out it was hard to push back because so much freaking mud was caked around the front sprocket.

I didn't even think about it lol

Also another thing that was making it hard to roll backwards is, the poly swingarm skid, for the rotor.. Well the rotor has wore a path completely through it. And it has one of those wavy rotors, when rolling forward it just pushed that poly skid out of the way, when you roll it backwards the wavy parts of the rotor try to lift it up.

DragonGunner
11-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Always something simple......my lawyer will be in touch.

dxcody
11-12-2012, 12:57 AM
I will be awaiting the call!