PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Elka's

Dune Surfer
03-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Man are my new Elka's stiff. I rode at Glamis last weekend and my wrist are so sore!!. I have about a half an inch of preload adjustment to soften them, if that and some break in time this weekend doesn't help, thier going back. I expected a much better ride, but the stock shocks are better at this point.

03-12-2003, 08:28 AM
Something is very wrong that you are getting beat up that way.

Give up some more info on the set up and maybe someone here can help you get things worked out, and it wouldnt be a bad idea to call both elka and who you bought them from.

03-12-2003, 08:32 AM
How'd you get them setup?? MX or like XC...Elka or possibly the place you bought them will take care of the problem I'm sure..sorry to here about it....I'm guessing you changed all the adjustments..:confused: to soften them up...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-12-2003, 12:31 PM
What is it with people getting there Elkas and not having them set up right... They must be buying them from the wrong places :cool: Or not knowing how to adjust them :confused: but there is not much adjustment from the economies so getting them set up right the 1st time is pretty important..

QuadTrix6
03-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
What is it with people getting there Elkas and not having them set up right... They must be buying them from the wrong places :cool: Or not knowing how to adjust them :confused: but there is not much adjustment from the economies so getting them set up right the 1st time is pretty important..

i second that silver fox :macho, im sure elka will take care of it though

Razorback
03-12-2003, 02:29 PM
I bought mine from C&D last year when they really weren't popular yet, though they were beginning to get that way. I believe I talked to Colby at some length about the specific type of riding I do and my quad dimensions, and gave my honest weight measurements with gear on, and honest statements about my riding styles.

This is very crucial to get these shocks (or any custom shock for that matter) built correctly for you. If you think you're an A level rider, but in reality you're only a C level rider, and ordered them for an A rider, then the shocks probably aren't going to feel good to you.

Also, keep in mind that the compression adjustment on these shocks (and most others in this price range) are high speed compression adjustable. They are going to work and feel better under higher stress situations like rough tracks and jumps. If you're putting around, they're probably not going to feel good at the slower speeds.

All that being said, I've been tickled with my Elka shocks. I adjust them almost every race depending on the conditions of the track, and they react well to the changes.

ESR250R
03-12-2003, 08:01 PM
my front elka's were also set up too stiff. i just sent my shocks out and marty@quadshop told me that they were set up for +2 a arms. i was riding on stock all last season. marty also told me that i had both seals blown on my front shocks. so now that i know for sure that there valved correctly i am going to try them out.

Dune Surfer
03-12-2003, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, and Dusty. I tried to buy them from C&D but they were out of town when I ordered. Not to worry I bought them from the quadshop. I adjusted them today, I'll try them this weekend at Glamis.

Dave400ex
03-13-2003, 07:20 PM
I would just keep adjusting them for a few more rides and if they are still Stiff, then send them to the Quadshop to get fixed.
ESR let us know how they are when you get them back and ride...

ESR250R
03-13-2003, 07:22 PM
i have them back but i am waiting on my arens chassis that was supposed to be done awhile ago. but i will definitely give a full review on the shocks when i get everything together.