PDA

View Full Version : Title dilemma

AtvKid4Eva
11-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Hey guys I need some advise. I bought my 05 450r back in 06 from a guy in a local city off Craigslist. The guy gave me the title with the bike, but since I was younger I wasn't aware I had to get it transferred and such. So I never did I just held onto it. Well now I would like to get it transferred into my name just to have And in case I ever need it. Well it's lost now. I can't find it anywhere. I searched my parents house up and down and I think it got lost/thrown away when I moved out. Idk how but its lost. I'm going crazy trying to find it. How hard would it be for me to get a new one? Obviously I have the VIN and its not stolen. I think they will auestion me since I never had the original title transferred. What's the procedure since I'm sure this has happened before. In in OH also. Let me know what u guys think. thanks!

CJM
11-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Not sure about Ohios laws, but here it works like this:

If you sell a quad, or whatever without a title (besides a car or full fledged motorcycle) all you need to do is have a notarized bill of sale. Take that to the DMV and they usually will let you register it. Sometimes depending on the idiot you get (like me) it can take several times before they do it cause they seem to make up the rules as they go. for my 450 I went to two different DMV's and the 2nd one didnt bat an eye and did it for me, the first one was all nitpicky and told me I had to jump through hoops. Quite the opposite with my 400ex, since the one office that said no to the 450 said yes to the 400 and the other office that did register the 450 said no to the 400 (if that makes sense).

Or you can contact the abandoned vehicle dept for your DMV. Basically its a lengthy process and they thoroughly check and make you fill out many forms and when its all done its declared yours.

Or you could spend some bucks and buy a titled frame off ebay or a forum.

Im not saying to do this, this is for entertainment purposes only! Make a bill of sale up, get someone to notarize it if need be, present it and bingo your done.

AtvKid4Eva
11-10-2012, 05:25 PM
It just makes me mad because I had the title in hand. I want another title like tho one Honda issued, but in my name. Is that possible?

CJM
11-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Dont think so man.

AtvKid4Eva
11-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanks CJM.

Anyone else have any input?

quad2xtreme
11-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Honda doesn't issue titles. Titles are issued by the state. Manufacturers issue issue the Certificate of Origin also known as Manufacturers Statement of Origin. You cannot get a duplicate.

AtvKid4Eva
11-11-2012, 06:41 AM
yeah thats what i thought. Isnt there a affedavite of ownership i can fill out and get signed or something like that? I read one guy in OH did that and they gave him a title.

OldGuyonaQuad
11-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Yea Honda won't re issue after 1 year and CJM is dead on, @ NJDMV it's registration roulette if you only have a bill of sale.

The title is great to have but in most cases a registration will suffice. You can also call Pa DMV and tell them you want to register your quad in Pa b/c you ride there. They will let you fax in the forms, pay over the phone and mail you the registration and a tag. Next year register it any state you want.

Now if you just have to have the title b/c it's keeping you up at nights there are title recovery sites out there that will charge you $800 and more for their service.

preddy brian
11-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Your best chance is to get ahold of the person you bought it from. Hopefully he will help you and go get a duplicate title made at the dmv and give it you. If he doesn't want to mess with it, offer he a little cash to persuade him. If he won't do, I dont really know what to do. The title will still be in the dmv computer under his name until you get it transferred to your name. Good luck.

AtvKid4Eva
11-11-2012, 06:44 PM
It's been years..idk how to even find him.

AtvKid4Eva
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
anyone else?

Langbolt
11-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Well since the guy you bought it from lives in OH....you could go to the DMV...tell them what you just told us....and nicely ask if they can give you the previous owners Name & Address.....then you could call him up and make arrangements to get him to have another title printed ....then he can sign it over to you and you can transfer it into your name....Good luck :)

AtvKid4Eva
12-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Hey guys, i figured id give an update on this situation. Well the title bureau will NOT disclose and of the info from the previous owner, however a buddy i have at the local honda dealer got it for me. But the same day that i got the previous owners name and address, I FOUND THE TITLE AT HOME! I now have the title!

Now the nest problem will be getting it into my name. When i bought it from the previous owner he dated the back 6/6/06 and signed his name BUT he did not get his signature notarized. What could i do since it has a 06' date as the time of transfer?