PDA

View Full Version : 400ex suspension upgrade

Honda.rider5871
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Will 06 ltz400 shocks w/ rezzies work on the front of my 400ex ? Ive been looking to upgrade my suspension for a while and found a deal on these shocks on craigslist. Also i weigh about 130lbs , could i do just a gtt link or do i need the revalve too ? Ive been looking at hls shocks too from gtt . Im also debating on whether to go with +2 a arms . I ride trails and plan on doing some local xc racing

CJM
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Not sure. I know shocks off a trx450r will fit with some minor trimming of the upper mounts on the quad. YFZ shocks must be trimmed to fit on the upper eyes of the shock.

+2 arms will be too wide for the woods unless you have 4:1 offset wheels. I would try to stay under 47", stock 400 width is about 44"

GTT link works well, you might be skinny enough to get away without a revalve. I tried that (im 190lbs) and it was so soft it was crazy.

Stickman400
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I thought someone on here put a pair of Z400 shocks with rezzies on their 400 with no mods, but I can't remember for sure. And I also vote against the +2 arms, I'd go +1 if you are gunna ride alot of trails and XC races. I weigh 130 lbs. also and I have the GT Thunder XC link with a re-valved stock rear shock for my weight, riding style and the link. I couldn't tell you what the difference would be between the stock and re-valve shock with the link though because I had it done at the same time because you're supposed to have it re-valved for the link anyhow.

TacicalRedneck
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
If i remeber right the ltz shocks will make the front sit up extremely high- i think :confused:

450r shocks would be a better bet i'd think to.

I run +2 a-arms- and a +4 axle with 3+5 offset rear wheels... no problems whatsoever on the trails (the trails i ride at least) The ruts are pretty wide through open feilds- with all the erosion it gets very bumpy after a while- thats when the ute/sxs riders make a new path- i ride on the ruts already made- and the bike took it like it was nothing (that was just with stock shocks and +2 a arms.) I Really love the extended a-arm feel... corners amazing

:)

CJM
11-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Wish we had wide trails like that here. Where I usually ride your lucky if its about a quad and a half wide, most of it is the width of a quad.

TacicalRedneck
11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Wish we had wide trails like that here. Where I usually ride your lucky if its about a quad and a half wide, most of it is the width of a quad.

I've been to places like that- but then i've been to places where the trails were like roads :( scared me stiff when i came up on a jeep in a rzr!!
:D

It gets a little tight when i come up on rzrs going the other way- and pass. one of us ends up pulling off a little. thats the only downside of the +2's

Honda.rider5871
11-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Well after talking to laz at GTT , Im going hls essential shocks , and send my rear off to him for a revalve/respring and the xc link. Id like to can find a good deal on nice used set of +2 or +1 a arms, if not i probally wont mess with them for now.

Honda.rider5871
11-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Well after talking to laz at GTT , Im going with hls essential shocks , and send my rear off to him for a revalve/respring and the xc link. Id like to find a good deal on nice used set of +2 or +1 a arms, if not i probally wont mess with them for now.

Muzzgit
11-14-2012, 05:37 AM
You should find the Elite shocks from GTThunder really nice, I have a set on my Raptor.

I would strongly suggest +2 A-Arms as well as the link for the rear shock.

01boneless
11-16-2012, 09:00 AM
I have a set of the hls essential'sfor sale save some money...

Honda.rider5871
11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys buy ive decided not to put any more money into my 400 , and focus on the new 450.