PDA

View Full Version : Ebay ettique...was I wrong?

OldGuyonaQuad
11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Ok I have all of a 13 rating @ Ebay 100% with all being purchases. Less one item that arrived the day before I got a tracking number from the seller each purchase was perfect. I received shipping notification that were traceable within 48 business hours of the payment.

Well last week my 14 year old bugs me about this poster she had to have I finally broke down and bought it. It was scheduled to arrive on 11/3/12 and did not. I sent the seller a message and informed him that I did not receive the item nor a tracking number. Later that day I got an e mail indicating the item shipped with a tracking number but no return message from the seller. Turns out the tracking number was bogus, it just said entered on as if it were called in to be picked up.

So I sent a second message informing him that if I didn't get a tracking number and or a reply from him that I was going to file a claim and give him a bad review. Three days after the package was to arrive and three messages by me went ignored so I followed through and only then did I get a reply from him.

He was pissed that I had the nerve to give him a bad review and he doesn't have a computer, he is using his friends computer. I replied that if you are selling items on Ebay as a business you need a computer and or a smart phone.

So now I am in an ebay email war with Shane from big Brother who says I have bad manners and my daughter thinks I am the worst dad in the world.

Was I wrong? Should I have waited longer before giving him a negative review? Should I apologize? Is there a way to change your review? I have seen others go in and add more information to the review but I have no idea how to do so.

frigging sue-do stars

chucked
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Hmm, I would have done a neutral. Imo negative feedback is for people that dont send an item or send the wrong or broken/unworking (whatever) and dont take care of it (or at least dont honestly try)

Ps, pretty sure you can retract feedback

CJM
11-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I woulda done the same.

If your gonna sell stuff you gotta be on top of it. SOunds to me like the guy didnt get off his lazy duff and ship it. I strive to ship within 2 days or purchase b/c I know if I were the purchaser I would want it to arrive as quickly as possible.

SRH
11-08-2012, 05:38 PM
I sell on ebay, ive run into bad buyers and bad sellers, mistakes happen as long as the seller makes things right and is professional they get a positive from me,

resolution and unprofessional not quite satisfied neutral

no resolution or an all out scam negative,

ive made mistakes before of missing a flaw on an item or a listing error, ill go the extra mile to make sure a customer is happy, but it doesnt make every buyer happy

KKiowaTJ
11-08-2012, 05:43 PM
You did nothing wrong, Its low life sellers like that making ebay a crap hole anymore.

Like you said, If your gonna sell through ebay have a computer. If i buy or win an auction, I pay 10 minutes after. If the item is not in the mail in 24 hours or less i will leave negitive unless comunication is great and there is a valid reason why.

I guess im just an ***, But if you are selling somthing to make money, And i give you money for your item, You better have it in the system just as fast as my money got to you.

The only person to apologize to is your daughter. That and get her another poster. Other than that your in the right and i wouldnt say anything to the seller. To each their own, Good luck

chucked
11-08-2012, 05:47 PM
24 hours or less with shipping sounds ridiculous. I bet you dont sell on there.

Baracudaaa
11-09-2012, 07:39 AM
You had it shipped to the east coast, correct??? The same week or shorty after the entire upper east coast was blasted by a massive storm that killed almost 100 people, and you are complaining that delivery was slow?????
I think you might have jumped the gun, just a bit.

honda250xrider
11-09-2012, 07:47 AM
I would have not left a negative feedback, I would think this is more of a neutral. Negative feedback is for a flat out terrible service or scam.

Have you since received the product? how long did it take to get there?

On my listing I put I will ship within 2 business days. Sometimes shipping right away is not an option for me as I have a day job that requires me to work late and I may not make it to the house, package the item, and then ship it all within a day.

CJM
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
I think the problems were:
1. Lack of communication. He sent multiple messages to the seller with no response

2. No tracking info for days. Then finally got tracking info after he pestered the seller and the info turned out to be bogus

I still side with him. Now if the seller had communicated or at least gave proper tracking info-had it been me I wouldnt have cared as much. But the seller didnt.

OldGuyonaQuad
11-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Marc you are dead on it was the total lack of communication and bad info that had me upset, that being said I do think maybe I jumped the gun in hind sight. Especially with the way he has handled himself since the dispute was filed.

I got an instant refund and now the tracking number he gave me is working and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I had already gone back and left an apologetic follow up to my negative feed back prior to finding out the item was coming for free. Today I am going to call ebay and ask them to reverse the negative feed back.

I think he over sold the item (it showed 5 available and 6 sold) or perhaps it was really lost in the mail. Either way in the future I think I will hold off on the negative feed back until I see how the dispute goes.

BTW the item was ordered the day after the storm to and from and areas not badly affected by Sandy and the item was coming first class mail.

KKiowaTJ
11-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by chucked
24 hours or less with shipping sounds ridiculous. I bet you dont sell on there.

I buy and sell through ebay alot. I have been a member there since 98'-99' with three accounts. I have delt with every kinda of piece of **** thus why if you want to make money in it, Be there for your customers.

If your going to sell an item, List it for auction, Have the package already boxed and ready to ship. Dont be a ****ing lazy ***.

Oh i got a job and dont have time, The usual. But you had time to waste by setting up the auction to make money, Just too lazy to have said package ready to drop off to ship.

chucked
11-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Whats your ebay user names? Wait why do you have 3 accounts? Ive been an ebay user since '99 (I was 14) and I have 100% feedback and I dont think Ive ever shipped within 24 hrs

chucked
11-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad
Marc you are dead on it was the total lack of communication and bad info that had me upset, that being said I do think maybe I jumped the gun in hind sight. Especially with the way he has handled himself since the dispute was filed.

I got an instant refund and now the tracking number he gave me is working and it's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I had already gone back and left an apologetic follow up to my negative feed back prior to finding out the item was coming for free. Today I am going to call ebay and ask them to reverse the negative feed back.

I think he over sold the item (it showed 5 available and 6 sold) or perhaps it was really lost in the mail. Either way in the future I think I will hold off on the negative feed back until I see how the dispute goes.

BTW the item was ordered the day after the storm to and from and areas not badly affected by Sandy and the item was coming first class mail.

If he had 5 available and 6 sold that means he had 11 total.

honda250xrider
11-09-2012, 09:52 AM
If your going to sell an item, List it for auction, Have the package already boxed and ready to ship. Dont be a ****ing lazy ***.

Oh i got a job and dont have time, The usual. But you had time to waste by setting up the auction to make money, Just too lazy to have said package ready to drop off to ship. [/B][/QUOTE]

I too have been on Ebay since around 99. I do not box the items up until a buyer has paid for the item. I have things listed on forums, craigslist, and ebay. I have several people want additional photos; how am I supposed to do this with an item boxed up and sealed already. I do have boxes available but I do not always have time to run home from work pick up the package and mail within the same day. This is the reason why SELLERS have the option and opportunity to pick their handling time.

I don't make much by selling on Ebay, and I will not make a huge trip to simply ship one item. It will simply wait until the following day when its on my way to or from work. I have a 100% Ebay rating, I have never had a dispute agaisnt me. I would say that I have a decent system in place. Buyers should read the description to ensure they know the handling time.

On another note- I can understand your frustration OldGuy. It was a lack of communication. Often times I have noticed when I send a person a tracking number that it may not work right away or doesn't get updated for a couple days. (usually with USPS) This can also mean though that the person has printed off a label and it has yet to be picked up or dropped off.

trompen542
11-09-2012, 10:00 AM
We sell a lot on ebay, but list it as a 5 day handling time, because sometimes it takes that long to get through our system, and through our shipping dept. we still get people that don't read the whole listing, and send emails 5 minutes after they pay, wanting to know if their item has shipped yet. I don't know if many of you know, but paypal holds the money, for 3-4 business days, and says not to ship until the money clears. For our company, it has become policy to try to ship within the 3 business days, but some times it may take a little longer.

OldGuyonaQuad
11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Trompen is right and Chucked that's fine as long as you list that in the shipping terms otherwise I expect to have a tracking number within 48 business hours hours of payment (which is done right after the auction by me).

He had 5 available at the beginning of the sale and showed 6 sold afterwards. There were two available when i made my purchase.

KKiowaTJ
11-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by chucked
Whats your ebay user names? Wait why do you have 3 accounts? Ive been an ebay user since '99 (I was 14) and I have 100% feedback and I dont think Ive ever shipped within 24 hrs

My personal one is miked901233c4m, The other two are business related. But i usually buy local, Used local/CL or ebay as last resort.

Why? I dont want to mix my items up with others, Cause problems through paypal or just problems all togeather. Items on that account range from a couple stickers to a recent purchase of a rear brake system for a 400ex. I would rather buy from a person on a forum than CL or ebay anyday.

I take alot of pictures of an item in going to sell and list that item is boxed and ready to ship. I also never transfer funds until the buyer is 100% happy with the item.

If its listed in the auction X amount of days, There is no problem. If the seller/buyer have good communication there is no problem. Just like the reply im typing now, Its over my phone. But it goes to show that a reply is not too hard to do to keep up good communication.

I would have no problem if i bought X from you today and you replied that you are tied up at the second and wont be able to ship it until next week and that you will keep in touch and email me a tracking # as soon as you get it. Is that to much to ask of people wanting to make money?

BTW, If your in a business that recieves and ships, 24 hours means 3 business days, 8 hours in a "work" day. But what it comes down to is poor, or lack of communication. Thats all most honest buyers/sellers want and is it too much to ask?

CJM
11-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Ive sold and bought tons of stuff on ebay over the years. In about 99% of cases the seller will ship the item in about 3 days max. The other 1% take forever to ship for whatever reason.

GREAT EXAMPLE: I won an best offer auction for a GTT clutch setup. After 2 weeks of no communication from them (btw it was GTT selling it under another name) and messaging them a few times, I finally sent a curt message asking to please send me my item or refund my money. I figured 2 weeks and its GTT and I didnt need it asap so I gave them time.

Whatya know, 4 hours later I got a valid tracking number and bingo it came to my house in 4 days. Point being: Had I not sent a message it woulda never came. Also under normal circumstances I woulda been flipping out but it is GTT and I understand sometimes things get busy at shops like that.

As for selling, I have 100% feedback. I ALWAYS try to communicate with the customer. I once shipped some sneakers to an APO (i was military address in germany if I recall) and the buyer asked me after 2 weeks where it was. I went so far as to call the post office, ask what the deal was and told the guy they couldnt tell me anything (b/c it was a military addy) other thanit was onits way and to be patient. The guy was so happy he thanks me!

However I have also had jerks before. Sold a rainsuit that was military spec (IE not military but just like it). Buyer flipped out and said it wasnt genuine military (didnt read or understand the auction I guess) and I told the buyer-what do you want for 50 bucks, I listed it as being military spec not issue gear. Wouldnt you know the guy just asked for a refund and I happily gave him one less the shipping.

In the end on ebay and such you gotta make sure your on top of it, specially if you got an ebay biz selling stuff. As for me, I always put handling time 2 days just to give myself some time.

Zakradu398
11-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Ive sold and bought tons of stuff on ebay over the years. In about 99% of cases the seller will ship the item in about 3 days max. The other 1% take forever to ship for whatever reason.

GREAT EXAMPLE: I won an best offer auction for a GTT clutch setup. After 2 weeks of no communication from them (btw it was GTT selling it under another name) and messaging them a few times, I finally sent a curt message asking to please send me my item or refund my money. I figured 2 weeks and its GTT and I didnt need it asap so I gave them time.

Whatya know, 4 hours later I got a valid tracking number and bingo it came to my house in 4 days. Point being: Had I not sent a message it woulda never came. Also under normal circumstances I woulda been flipping out but it is GTT and I understand sometimes things get busy at shops like that.

As for selling, I have 100% feedback. I ALWAYS try to communicate with the customer. I once shipped some sneakers to an APO (i was military address in germany if I recall) and the buyer asked me after 2 weeks where it was. I went so far as to call the post office, ask what the deal was and told the guy they couldnt tell me anything (b/c it was a military addy) other thanit was onits way and to be patient. The guy was so happy he thanks me!

However I have also had jerks before. Sold a rainsuit that was military spec (IE not military but just like it). Buyer flipped out and said it wasnt genuine military (didnt read or understand the auction I guess) and I told the buyer-what do you want for 50 bucks, I listed it as being military spec not issue gear. Wouldnt you know the guy just asked for a refund and I happily gave him one less the shipping.

In the end on ebay and such you gotta make sure your on top of it, specially if you got an ebay biz selling stuff. As for me, I always put handling time 2 days just to give myself some time.

I went through the same thing with GTT. I had to keep calling until finally I just asked for a refund. Whatta ya know, same day got a tracking #

CJM
11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
The funny thing is Zak I also bought the 400ex skid they offer for the linkage like 4 months later. It came no problem? Go figure??? :confused: