PDA

View Full Version : Front CVT Locked Up? Pls Help.

jrns281
11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Hi Guys,

OK I just finished a bottom end replacing the crank, bearings, oil seals. Once I installed the starter and clutch mechanisms and use an impact to tighten the variator nut, the whole system get locked up meaning I cannot turn it by hand. Once I untighten the nut, everything is back to free and normal movement, where I can fire up the bike with the electric start. When installing the variator I did make sure the Belt was not pinching when I tightened the nut. I am showing the step-by-step installation to make it clear if I am missing something or just a noob.

Logan #34's Dad
11-07-2012, 08:02 PM
You had to of missed a spacer or you'll need to shim it. The starter gear is most likely being pressed against the cases.
All cranks are not the same so your tolerances may be a little different.

jrns281
11-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I think you are right. I think I am missing part #3 or the "Boss Gear" But if I can ask, where and how would you shim so the the starter gear does not get pushed againest the case. I think that is what is happening.

Logan #34's Dad
11-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Boy, its been a while since I had one with the electic starter but there has to be a place to shim the plate out with a thin washer or an actual variator shim. The shim would go on 1st then the plate to push it away from the case....

jrns281
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Well under the starter gear, there is a very thin and flat plate washer which is Part #5 in the diagram. Just missing the "Boss Gear" which what I think is the part that I am missing.

Thank you for your advice.

mmsoup
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Judging from the diagram, the boss is wider than the bearing. That would allow you to tighten everything against the case and have a race for the bearing.

Do you know where to go to get the part?