PDA

View Full Version : vent oil leak help

400thacker
11-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I searched and I know to do a leak down test but I don't have the guage here.
Just bought this thing and it runs strong new rebuild so i hear still has new gaskets.

rode it kinda hard for about 2 miles down the road and not steady rpm, stopped and it was pouring oil from the vent line.
rode home a little easier and it wasn't leaking.

took a short hard trail ride and no leaks then either.

my crank case tube runs from the case down behind the motor and to the ground. should this be up with a breather on it?

C-LEIGH RACING
11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Check to see how much oil is in the transmission.
Theres a small bolt on the side of the clutch cover, between the water pump & the bulged out area for the clutch, take that bolt out & see how much oil drains out.
That small bolt, is for checking the level of the trans oil to normally full level, but most 250R owners, put 3/4 of a qt of oil in their transmissions.

One problem you might or might not ever see, trans oil leaks like around the seals & dont know why it is doing it.
Sometimes the end of the vent hose will get plugged with dirt, from hanging down under the frame, so in turn it can vent, pressure build in the trans & oil be blown out any where it can get out.
Go on the very end of that vent hose & put two splits in it, so dirt cant be plugged up inside it, problem solved.
Neil

400thacker
11-07-2012, 10:16 AM
it coughed up abour 4 oz of oil steady drain then stopped and hasn't done it since

C-LEIGH RACING
11-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 400thacker
it coughed up abour 4 oz of oil steady drain then stopped and hasn't done it since

You saying out of that drain bolt on the side of the clutch cover, or spit out the vent tube ?.
Neil

400thacker
11-07-2012, 10:27 AM
spit out of vent tube

C-LEIGH RACING
11-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Just take that small bolt out of the clutch cover & let it drain till it levels out, then do a test ride, see it it spits oil out.

If it still does it, theres probably an air leak between the crank area into the trans. If so, could be the center case gasket or the clutch side crank seal area.
Neil

400thacker
11-07-2012, 02:50 PM
can I plug it? lol

DoonRider
11-07-2012, 10:12 PM
I'd check the oil level like Neil suggests.

C-LEIGH RACING
11-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Heres the deal 400,
Theres not very many reason a 250R engine will spit the oil out of the transmission & out of all the 250Rs I know about or seen over the years, with that problem, it was from,,,,
to much oil in the trans,
water pump seal bad & coolant running into the trans & over filling,
that vent hose plugged on the end & pressure building in the trans & then the oil being blown out where ever it could leak or either an air leak from the crankcase into the transmission area & oil being blown out from that.

It is normal & most 250R owners do, over fill their trans, pouring in at least 3/4 of a qt of oil.
The reason for that, when that amount of oil is poured into the trans, it will make the oil level high enough that some oil will be in the counter balancer area to pre-lube the balancer bearing before start up & also be high enough that IF, the clutch side crank seal is going bad or leaking, trans oil will be sucked into the crankcase & cause the engine to smoke far more than normal, letting you know to check that seal.
I guess you could say, over filling the trans that amount, is a tattle tail to let you know of a problem.
Neil

400thacker
11-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I checked the oil level and it was overfilled. thanks alot for the help!