PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Suzuki LT-Z400 Hard To Start???

suzz400uki2003
11-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Ok well first let me just say I'm new here and this is my first post.
I’ve never been much for forums but all my friends keep telling me it’s the best thing since sliced bread... so here I am...

Well I have a 2003 z400, it has a 416 JE 12.5:1 new kibble white valves and springs, port and polish, hot cams, full FMF exhaust, K&N filter, Dynatek Adjustable Ignition, and I live in NJ.

We went to breezewood last weekend and day one my bike was fine, it usually cranked for about 20 to 30 seconds before firing up when it was cold... that was "normal" for some reason day 2 and 3 it was more like 20 to 30 minutes... "Not normal” my friends think it’s the carb jetting.

Currently in the carb are a 150 main, 22.5 pilot, and 60 starter jets.
Last time I changed the plug it was perfect, this time as in last night it was as black as can be and wet...

I ordered a few new jets both up and down; the filter is getting cleaned tonight, and were going to check the valves this weekend.

Just wanted to know if anyone else had a similar situation. Any help would be great.

It always eventually starts, and even before its warm it runs fine.
Once it’s warm though it fires right up.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully I can help someone with one of their issues in the future...

Greg-

Timgoob
11-11-2012, 08:31 PM
sounds like the valves are out of adj. I would also go up to a 25 Pj. think you should check out Suzukicentral.com you'll find a lot of good people there and tons of info on the Z.

suzz400uki2003
11-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Yea I tries dropping the main jet 3 smaller sizes today with no improvement. I adjusted the air screw and got some improvement. I'm ordering a few larger pilot jets tomorrow. Well see what that does. If that doesn't help then I will check the valves and see what they need. Thanks for the input though. Greg