PDA

View Full Version : Gas in the eingine

34sweetness
11-06-2012, 08:55 PM
2005 400EX: My carb float valve appears to be damaged and gas has "overflown" into the air box and engine. I have removed and emptied the air box, removed and cleaned the carb (still need to fix the float valve seat), but the engine still has gas in it. I have drained the oil from the crankcase the oil resevoir, but I can still see gas/oil in the engine (looking through the intake manifold). So, how do I get the rest of the gas out of the engine? By the way, I am a newbie to working on the carb/engine. I have only ever changed the oil and tires. Any help would be appreciated very much.

BigKidd
11-07-2012, 03:39 AM
You've removed the gas from the crankcase and resevoir but there is still gas in the cylinder.

Remove the spark plug, place a rag over the spark plug hole and turn the engine over slowly at first.

Make sure the spark wire is out of the way and that the kill switch is in the off position.

Just be careful depending on how much gas remains in the cylinder, it will shoot out of the spark plug hole with some velocity.

Once all gas out, put a teaspoon or so of oil in the cylinder, (the gas has washed the rings out) this will keep the rings lubed untill the crank can sling some oil up from the bottom.

Don't forget to replace the crankcase oil. Reinstall the plug and fire it up ! Brrraaaapp !

Oh, and the source of your problem is:
1) trash or debris between the inlet needle and the seat.
2) inlet needle bad.
3) incorrect float setting.
4) bad float

AND ! When you transport anything that has a float style carburetor remember to shut the gas off. The float bounces around with sloshing fuel and will also over flow the bowl.

34sweetness
11-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the step by step.
A couple of questions though:
How is it that I "turn the engine over"?
I don't know how to do that.

I also assume that I will "put a teaspoon or so of oil in the cylinder" through the intake manifold, right? I don't have to open the valve covers of anything like that, right?

I apologize for the questions, but this is the first time I have ever taken apart a carb/engine...

Thanks for you advice and help in getting my ATV up and running again!

BigKidd
11-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Turn the engine over just like you would be starting it, with the starter. Put the teaspoon of oil in thru the spark plug hole. Happy to help ;-)