PDA

View Full Version : where to Chrome magnesium?

mxracer111
03-11-2003, 09:31 PM
i got all my parts back from being chrome plated this week.....and they could not do 2 of my YZF400 sidecovers because they were magnesium......does anyone know of any company the will chrome magnesium parts...... the place said it can be done....but they didnt have the correct chemicals to do it....and they didnt know of anywhere that could. i need to get them done ASAP...thanks

Pvt. Maggot
03-11-2003, 09:51 PM
i dunno about getting it chromed...but you could send it to 2 Rs or pappy and get it powdercoated chrome...or you could send them to me to get them polished....

MIKE400EX
03-11-2003, 09:53 PM
We process a lot of magnesium at work and in 25 years I've never seen anybody chrome it. Not saying that it's not possible - just never have seen it done. How about powder coating or the Jet Hot type ceramic coating? It can be anodized, colors are white, brown, tan, green (NOT the same as anodizing aluminum). It can also be dichromated which gives it a brassy/gold hue (KTM uses that). Come to think of it, C5 Corvettes have an optional magnesium wheel - anybody know how it's finished?

03-11-2003, 10:14 PM
since your in downingtown maybe HARD CHROME can help ya ...the # is .717 764-5171...ask for Gregg ;)

Big - D Racing
03-11-2003, 10:15 PM
I looked into chroming mine, and from what I found out it wasn't possible, maybe I got bad info though:confused: