PDA

View Full Version : Stator Trouble??

jpfmotors
11-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Story goes i was out on the local mx track comeing out of a corner hard shifted to 3rd and seamed like someone pulled the kill switch, I got her home (05 450r) and found no spark, checked kill switch, working properly. Checked grounds that I can locate, cleaned and reattached. Checked coil, Coil is good and has good ground. I would like to check the stator but i have no resitance readings of what is suppose to be on what wires, and would like to check for voltage as kicking it over but dont know what wires from the stator suppose to have voltage. if anyone can help that would be great. You would think with 2 honda 450s i would get a manual hahaha. oh my other 450 is an 06 so i cant compare reading as the 06 has electric start stators might be different. thank you

DnB_racing
11-05-2012, 02:50 PM
JP were are you located I forget ..

how far from fitchburg?

make sure there are no metal particles in oil, the metal stuck to magnet can cause no spark from shorting out the stator.

pull your stator cover and flywheel and inspect if signs of ANY metal in oil or filter

jpfmotors
11-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Southbridge ma i think like an hr from you, man its my practice bike and i got a race next weekend i need to ride this weekend might have to ride the race bike. not happy iam going to check it out when i get home tonight

jpfmotors
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
DnB we need to get together sometime i got 2 awsome riding spots right from my house going to one of them this weekend

jpfmotors
11-05-2012, 06:45 PM
so i took the stator out looks like a couple of the coils are burnt, is this normal? there was no metal flakes or powder stuck to the magnets, i wish i had a manual so i can test the components....

DnB_racing
11-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
so i took the stator out looks like a couple of the coils are burnt, is this normal? there was no metal flakes or powder stuck to the magnets, i wish i had a manual so i can test the components.... those arnt burnt, those coils are for your axillary curcuit (lights) and its normal to look different....

I dont have any links for manuals now, but there are plenty for around 5 bucks for a download manual,

on another note: check the dyno section there's a member next town over from you that just picked up a dyno and is looking for people to book some times... i bet its reasonable,

jpfmotors
11-07-2012, 07:12 AM
spent more time on it last night checked every ground all good checked voltage readings from pulse genarator good, and i did find that the 2 wires from the pulse generator after the plug had rubbed through each other down to the copper wire if they had touched i may have shorted out the (icm) its were the pulse generator wires go to, going to try a friend icm tonight. how I hate electrical issues !!!!!!!

DnB_racing
11-07-2012, 02:04 PM
spent more time on it last night checked every ground all good checked voltage readings from pulse genarator good, and i did find that the 2 wires from the pulse generator after the plug had rubbed through each other down to the copper wire if they had touched i may have shorted out the (icm) its were the pulse generator wires go to, going to try a friend icm tonight. how I hate electrical issues !!!!!!! are your sure the wires arnt shorted together still some ware? sometimes they melt the insulation and fuse together further up from the original short

and then make sure there is still no spark after wires are definitely separated everywhere

before plugging in a buddies icm make sure the 2 wires are completely clear

jpfmotors
11-16-2012, 02:48 PM
so i really suspected the stator so i ordered one and put it in and walla it fired right up. earlyer in the post i said there was some burn coils on the stator they were infact burnt i did not know if it was a assembled thing but anyway its fixed

fomospede
11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
so i really suspected the stator so i ordered one and put it in and walla it fired right up. earlyer in the post i said there was some burn coils on the stator they were infact burnt i did not know if it was a assembled thing but anyway its fixed
for now make sure to take note of the grounding DNB talks about

jpfmotors
11-19-2012, 08:08 AM
all the grounds are and were fine, the stator just decided to die on me i guess