PDA

View Full Version : Want to start HS races... Advice would be nice.

Chipotle
11-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Well I am looking at starting racing Hare Scrambles here in Florida.
I have been reading a lot about keeping pace and just hope to finish my first race. I am doing 6 a week work outs and working on endurance.

What I am looking for is advice on how to mod my quad. You can see what I have done already in my signature.
I am looking to upgrade a arms and suspension.
I am looking for the best bang for the buck.
What do you guys recommend?

I am a big guy. 6'5" 285

11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
If Florida courses are like Pennsylvania and Ohio courses, invest all your money in suspension. Nothing will beat you worse than riding a rough suspension for 2 + hours. Get a pair of Honda 450r front shocks and send them, along with you rear shock to a reputable suspension service and have them revalved and resprung for your weight and riding style. As far as engine mods go, you want the smoothest, easy to ride power you can make. Don't build an engine that pulls real hard sometimes, build something that is easy to ride hard for a long time. I personally like to keep the stock width on my 400. When I widened it last year I think I hit every tree at every track, I have since put it back to stock and couldn't be happier. Keep working out as much as you can, get yourself a good hydration pack. I put just plain old water in mine but, some of the guys I race with have used supplements added to water and that has helped them keep their energy level up during the race. Don't worry about who you line up against either! A well set up 400 can hang with the 450's all day in the woods. Be honest to yourself when you pick the class to race in. Pick a class suitable for your age and riding ability. Most importantly, Have fun and be safe!!!

dxcody
11-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Just stop thinking so much...

Go out... and ride.

Don't dump a bunch of money into your quad for something you are not even sure you are going to like.

Just line up, take off and do your own thing. Let all those other guys that want to haul *** off the bat go, and pass them later when they are dead tired.

Baileygunns
11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
I have a set of shocks cheap if you're interested.. They need a rebuild but you're going to have to rebuild any shocks you buy if you want it done right.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=494815