PDA

View Full Version : clay checking alternative?

desratt
11-04-2012, 12:30 AM
How does this sound? To remove my lash I raise the shim size till their is no lash then if I desire x amount of clearance I raise my shim x above that. Then turn the engine over if it turns over then i'm good right? Deffinitely turn it over by hand not kicking or starter.
Any thoughts or coments.

DnB_racing
11-04-2012, 05:13 AM
why not do it the way the book says?

but even after getting the valve clearence exact, I still do a squish test,
just because the clearence between valves and cam lobes are correct

doesnt mean the clearence from valve to piston is correct.

2 separate tests completely

fomospede
11-04-2012, 08:11 AM
ive done this valve clearance tons of times on car stuff and have always done it with a solid lifter and zero lash
that being said it isnt just the depth that matters also the shroud of the valve notch
make sure the notch gives you correct clearance in the radius of the notch

my .02

desratt
11-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Yea. I've done valve clearance a hundred times. It's piston to valve clearance i'm talking about. Where most people do a clay check. Put modeling clay on the piston bolt everything up and turn over then unbolt and measure the thickness of the squished clay. I have done squish on a 2 stroke.
Reason. I am considering using the 3mm stroke crank. I use a 13:1 je piston with a 500cc kit and use my misto cam.
I lost 2 04 engines due to piston and valve hitting. Don't want my 06 to do it to.
Just read last night where some car builders will put the piston almost to the top and measure how much it drops and that is their piston to valve clearance.

desratt
11-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Radius of the notch should be easy. Measure it or look on piston specs and measure the valve