PDA

View Full Version : Security cameras

Kickstarts-suck
10-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Anyone run security cameras at their house? The other day I went out to my car and noticed someone wrote on my driveway saying "you have a beautiful home! :)"

I was like WTF :confused: and didn't really think anything else of it.

Come to find out they wrote that on someone else's driveway also.

Story is some woman was walking door to door looking in peoples houses and cars for things to steal.. The night before that I left my keys in my car unlocked and I leave my gun in the glove box all the time.. (we have no crime where I live)

But now Id like to get 4 security cameras to mount around my house. Anyone know anything about setting them up and what I should buy.

TacicalRedneck
10-30-2012, 05:57 AM
how about a deer cam focused on your door :D ;)

Kovatch
10-30-2012, 11:10 AM
There are some DIY kits out there if you Google them or seek a professional security company to do the full install. You may get a discount on your insurance if you were to do a full system...?

Hate to be so blunt, but I would Google "security cameras" and start doing some research. I found a 4 camera system with a video recorder/hard drive & 19" monitor for $630. You can also have a system that is accessible via your smart phone. Wired or wireless cameras...

I would start bringing your handgun in the house. Just in case. Registered or not, it's still a liability. Do you have any motion sensor flood lights on/around the house? That helps scare some people away.

Kickstarts-suck
10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
I have done google searches. Just figured there might be an expert on the subject here.

Im trying to decide on wireless or not. My house is 3300 square feet and I want 4 cameras. That would be alot of wire..

I dont exactly want a top notch professional setup. Just something that will record daily so if something does happen I can just go back and watch the video.. Plus I want to know who keeps throwing trash in my yard.. :p

I saw the setup your talking about for $600 I dont really care for the little monitor. I would rather have it on my TV or computer.

Thinking this one
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-2155-lh114501c4wb-lorex-eco-4-channel-dvr-wireless-security-camera-system.aspx

HondaRacing83
10-30-2012, 02:04 PM
a gun

Kickstarts-suck
10-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
a gun

Does alot when someone breaks in your house when your not home or breaks into your car without you knowing..

But I have a pistol in my car and my house. ;)

Honda5
10-30-2012, 05:00 PM
i got a Samsung 4 camera system with 1 tera bite of memory It records 4 hidef video for a full month day and night. easy to setup and has the smart phone stuff. running the wire is a pain but worth it.

TacicalRedneck
10-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Does alot when someone breaks in your house when your not home or breaks into your car without you knowing..

$600 security system

VS

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m8foWi12aYd2hsiPqTwdCRA.jpg

:devious: :D

destey
10-31-2012, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck

How is a camera going to keep your house from getting robbed? Does the camera have heat seeking missiles that it shoots at intruders?

Honda5
10-31-2012, 07:07 AM
It's pretty simple you get a text or email as soon as the camera picks up movement. You flip your phone on and watch or call the cops. So with that being said does your gun have good cell service or take good video for the police?

Kickstarts-suck
10-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by destey
How is a camera going to keep your house from getting robbed? Does the camera have heat seeking missiles that it shoots at intruders?

Never said it would KEEP your house from being robbed..

But a gun isn't going to do chit if I'm not home.... At least a video will show who it is. ;)

Originally posted by Honda5
It's pretty simple you get a text or email as soon as the camera picks up movement. You flip your phone on and watch or call the cops. So with that being said does your gun have good cell service or take good video for the police?

;)

slightlybent47
11-03-2012, 07:06 PM
If there is no crime there, then why do you keep a gun in the glove box? If your car is unlocked and you keep a gun in there, you’re just asking for it to be stolen or a kid to find it and shoot them selves.

KKiowaTJ
11-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Dont waste your money, Look at all the TV shows and other places that have cameras likes banks. They still get robbed and all you get is a vague description to give out.

Get trip sensors and lights. If too big a couple noise boxes. A couple hundred spent to light up your ground for all the neighbors to see and hear.

A fence and razor wire works good to. That way you can stock up on shells and its like shooting fish in a barrell. If they are stuck in it comming over you have the right to stand your ground.

A LCD baby camera works just as good but is more noise sensitive. You can run 4 on one monitor and link up the system to your laptop.
Good luck either way, But locks, cameras, fence etc are to keep honest people out, If a thief wants it, He will get it no matter what.

DnB_racing
11-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Honda5
i got a Samsung 4 camera system with 1 tera bite of memory It records 4 hidef video for a full month day and night. easy to setup and has the smart phone stuff. running the wire is a pain but worth it. what does a system like this cost? and what does it take for it to have the ability to text or call and send the actual video?obviously a modem,

but what actually tells it to call when the trees move or a bird flies by does it call on every movement? if so it would be constantly calling wouldnt it?
I dont understand what would trip the modem to call, as its recording all the time wouldn't a dark cloud even signal movement, or rain....is it like a signal from tripping a motion and then starts recording and then calls, or does it record all the time?

Ive set up a couple systems that a motion detector sets of the recorder, and the motion is adjusted with filters on pixel counts, but obviously the more sensitive the better but not if it triggers false calls and a modem could be easily triggered with that, but if it records all the time, and calls on detection ??? what triggers the call, if set sensitive enough to pick up a sneaking prowler its sensitive enough to pick up a dog, or cat or even a squirrel or the trees moving

outside things are always moving how does the system know what movement is real or just a leave moving?

is this a contract type of system? and are you sure it triggers a call or is it just available to monitor via the internet?

is it something someone with some savvy to do themselves

Kickstarts-suck
11-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
If there is no crime there, then why do you keep a gun in the glove box? If your car is unlocked and you keep a gun in there, you’re just asking for it to be stolen or a kid to find it and shoot them selves.

I keep a gun because I have a concealed weapons permit ;) Better to have a gun and not need it then need it and not have it.

I dont keep my car unlocked. I accidentally left it unlocked one night.

Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
Dont waste your money, Look at all the TV shows and other places that have cameras likes banks. They still get robbed and all you get is a vague description to give out.

Get trip sensors and lights. If too big a couple noise boxes. A couple hundred spent to light up your ground for all the neighbors to see and hear.

A fence and razor wire works good to. That way you can stock up on shells and its like shooting fish in a barrell. If they are stuck in it comming over you have the right to stand your ground.

A LCD baby camera works just as good but is more noise sensitive. You can run 4 on one monitor and link up the system to your laptop.
Good luck either way, But locks, cameras, fence etc are to keep honest people out, If a thief wants it, He will get it no matter what.

Security cameras are a waste of money? Then why do all stored have them? Go on youtube and watch all the home security cameras catching people breaking into houses or being in their yards without permission. No point in a bunch of lights because I have no neighbors close to me to see or hear anything.

I have an alarm on my house but would also like cameras also.

So anyone actually have info on security camera setups?

cmanningjr
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
There are some economical systems you can get and tie into your home network. Just log into the DVR from your home computer or smart phone.

The wireless cameras are ok, but you will get interference and fuzzy pictures from time to time. Not to mention you will have the recievers to deal with when connecting them to the dvr.. (Kinda Bulky)

Now, you can get cameras that run off cat5 cable. (Ethernet Cable) You can also Use Baluns to run cameras that don't have cat5 connections and still use cat5 cable. (Makes for a much neater job) Cat5 is reasonable.

Now as far as the cameras...It's like everything else...The more you spend the better quality you get...Best thing to do is scope out your area and see where you can place cameras to capture what you want to see..Cameras can be hidden in many places and not noticed. (I have one I can put in something as small as a matchbox and it can run off a 9v battery)

Do some research, decide what you need go from there....

cmanningjr
11-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Also....If your property isn't lit real well you can get IR cameras that work well at night or low light situations...

And the PTZ (Pan,Tilt, Zoom) cameras are EXPENSIVE....

Kickstarts-suck
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Thank you :)

cmanningjr
11-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Your welcome.

alaska450r
11-05-2012, 07:15 PM
I installed a new system a few months ago and I love it. It is made by logitech and its pretty much plug and play. They have both indoor and outdoor cameras. I use the outdoor ones. They use the wires in your house as a network and record both on the camera and on the internet. You can see in color and in large size from any computer or smartphone or ipad etc. Cost for the outside cameras will run you 250 bucks each but they are very tough and work great.

DnB_racing
11-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by alaska450r
I installed a new system a few months ago and I love it. It is made by logitech and its pretty much plug and play. They have both indoor and outdoor cameras. I use the outdoor ones. They use the wires in your house as a network and record both on the camera and on the internet. You can see in color and in large size from any computer or smartphone or ipad etc. Cost for the outside cameras will run you 250 bucks each but they are very tough and work great. does it have an option to call your cell incase of intruder?

or just veiw anytime?

alaska450r
11-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, it will send you a text message every time it detects movement. You can set the times so that it does not send you messages during certain times if you want. It will also snap a picture and send that with the text. Its pretty flexible.

alaska450r
11-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Specifically, I have the 700 series system. I use the Alert 750e Master system with night vision. Its on ebay right now for 200 bucks. You can add up to 6 cameras per master system using the electrical wires in your house and an internet connection.

trailrider894
11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Plain and simple, most major crimes happen in plain sight during the middle of the day with witnesses and cameras around, they don't really do much.... This is coming from a Police Officer..