PDA

View Full Version : Sandy

rollie
10-29-2012, 03:50 PM
How is everyone weathering the storm?

its 6PM here and the wind is picking up a bit, still not raining very much though.

KKiowaTJ
10-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Its the end of the world comming. Soon as the storm parts the zombies will start walking. Better mount some shot guns on the renthals while you still can.

LMFAO... Its chitty for you guys. Hope everyone fairs well thats in its path. But if anyone would feel safer keeping their quad at my place, I understand;) LOL

Thumpin440ex
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
It's hounding good here in MD. 40 mph steady with some good barks. Power just started flickering a bunch. Thank god the tide is a blow out, from the wind howling out of the north, If it was out of the south we would have a bunch of flooded houses on the street, not to mention ever more of a PITA to keep a eye on the boats at the pier.

You all stay safe.

OldGuyonaQuad
10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
60 + mph winds in south jersey outside of Phila. Looks like we might get lucky as far as flooding goes thankfully.

HondaRacing83
10-29-2012, 07:51 PM
im tryin to miss some school!

racer82
10-29-2012, 08:07 PM
We got school cancelled in PA :devil:
started snowing

cloudpump
10-29-2012, 09:52 PM
just wind and rain here....still got power, supposed to taper off here in a few hours...

blacknblue#2
10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
It has schools shut down in southern ohio too. Crazy how weather works. In 26 years ive seen it flurry on halloween but never seen enough to shut down schools this early

selbygirl
10-30-2012, 08:30 AM
we got a good beaten here we live 5 miles from the ocean in delaware . no power oc maryland got flooded.

Zakradu398
10-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by racer82
We got school cancelled in PA :devil:
started snowing

Yea, started icing last night around 11-12 when I was coming home from a buddies.

I'm right near mount pleasant.

Glad my classes were cancelled today.

rcer450r
10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Some crazy wind and lots of rain, but so far so good lol

HondaRacing83
10-30-2012, 02:18 PM
im so pissed i had school didnt even get a 2hr delay

Thumpin440ex
10-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Here is as bad as it got for me. This was at the peak of our high tide 730am..Came up far, but still had a bit to go before it would have came in the house. Guys up in NJ/NY/DL hope you all have a speedy clean up. They got thumped hard.

John

Thumpin440ex
10-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Looking out.. I can remember Isabel was a foot in the living room.

John

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/Random/sandy1.jpg

chucked
10-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Thumpin, where do you live?

Thumpin440ex
10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Thumpin, where do you live?

Im an in south east Baltimore County, (Ft Howard/ Edgemere area.

John

chucked
10-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Funny, my gf is moving there tomorrow, Beacon Pointe apartments, i live in white marsh.

Thumpin440ex
10-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Are you serious? That is kinda nuts. If your headed down that road to get to the apt's you bear to your right down lodge forest drive, I am down near the end of it. Literally 5 mins from beacon pt. They have actually turned into a nice apt complex. Not the typical ghetto type, it is actually back in the woods almost.

John

chucked
10-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Yea, the main reason she's moving is because she got a dog. They allow pets and seemed to be the least ghetto in her price range.

destey
10-31-2012, 06:24 AM
One of the nicest days of the year yesterday, 70F, mostly sunny, almost dead calm yesterday much of the day. So much for "biggest storm in the history of the Atlantic" as I heard on the weather channel as they were all flipping out. I realize there was some coastal flooding and NYC got hit pretty good, but this storm was nothing like they said it was going to be.

chucked
10-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Yea wasnt as bad as they made me thought it was gonna be. I had no trees down and never lost power

yellowzo3
10-31-2012, 08:14 AM
Central Jersey checking in here... just got power back not too long ago (One of the few). TONS of trees down and roads closed. It takes forever to get anywhere. A lot of the Jersey members wont be checking in for a couple days as there are major power outages here.

Speaking of power outages... the gas station lines here are about an hour long and as I was driving early this morning everything was pitch black except for people waiting at dark gas stations to fill small gas cans for generators and JAM PACKED dunkin donuts... The only 2 things open.

Winds were something else and a few 50 year old oaks just uprooted out of the ground onto houses in the neighborhood.

I recommend everyone get a game plan even if you think you'll never need it. Always keep batteries, flashlights, water, canned food stocked and BUY A GENERATOR. Even days before the storm hit we couldn't get anything. Truckloads of generators were coming in to home Depot and they were already accounted for by people on the waiting list.

Hope everyone's safe and hanging in there!

yellowzo3
10-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by destey
One of the nicest days of the year yesterday, 70F, mostly sunny, almost dead calm yesterday much of the day. So much for "biggest storm in the history of the Atlantic" as I heard on the weather channel as they were all flipping out. I realize there was some coastal flooding and NYC got hit pretty good, but this storm was nothing like they said it was going to be.

?? Maybe you should check the news or google some pics of the beaches in New Jersey or even New York. There is major damage everywhere. You're pretty far north so fortunately you didn't have to experience most of it. But some others didn't make out so well. :(

CJM
10-31-2012, 05:13 PM
I been outta power since saturday night about 6pm. We survived with a generator and watched some movies. Got the fireplace going to keep us warm and dragged out the down comforters for sleeping. We have city water so that was ok and a gas stove and hot water heater, so we at least had water and hot water to shower. Even so we had enough water to be ok for awhile otherwise. We were cooking on the stove mostly and I powered the microwave a few times.

We just got power back literally a half hour ago and I logged on to let ya'll know Im fine and to check to see when schools open. They closed it till next week!

We were doing good till we started to get low on gas, saturday I had filled up about 10 gals worth of cans and we were out by today so I drained the tank of my one quads. Sent my brother out to find more gas and he drove all the way to levitt town PA (maybe 45 mins from here) and filled up like every can we had lol.

Powers still out in most areas, atlantic city is near destroyed by the boardwalk, sea side heights-etc are all ruined. Long beach island and other areas are the same, ruined or under water. Downed trees everywhere, power lines, etc. Hard to drive around, insane detours due to the traffic lights we have to cross busy roads.

No damage to the house cept a few shingles came off (we could use a new roof anyways) and a 8" diameter bradford pear came down. I spent the better part of yesterday and today making one of my old junk chainsaws work (we never need them here lol so I dont have any good ones left) and wound up sharpening the chain by hand lol. Otherwise no damage at all.

Our only link to the outside world is the NJ 101.5 radio station that is basically talk radio, they were on the internet and then got their genny back and broadcasted. Telling people the news, what gas stations were open, taking callers etc. my brother even called in to tell them to head to PA for gas since a 40 mile stretch of area (im guessing hundred miles square around me) is out of power). If not for them we wouldnt know anything, other radio stations played music or just talked about the storm and its damage all day and night-IF they were on!

It wasnt bad, my survival skills I guess you could say saved us. My dad is a jerk and doesnt believe we should be prepared. He argued with me for an hour just to get the first 10 gals of gas on friday. 2 weeks ago he screamed at me for collecting fuel cans (I been collecting the old style ones) and 2 years ago when I bought a genny he said I was an idiot. I hate to gloat or complain-but look whos laughing now! That cheap chinese genny was loud as hell but ran like a champ.

Anyways, thats the SITREP here. Hope everyone else is ok, specially Hike-those mtns up there can be horrible for power and downed trees.

Thumpin440ex
10-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Glad you made out ok CJM. We always hook up to the genset on the boat, the boat always has fuel in it LOL. I know NJ got smoked pretty good, along with NY. Storm was def a bit hyped up but that is something the weather people do every single time. I am convinced there is a conspiracy theory, to get people to spend money on supplies ect. The storm was def the BIGGEST to hit the north east, but not the most powerful. If this would have hit land as a cat 2 or more, it would have been ALOT more devastating, you could bet on it. Md would have been flooded as well, even from the tail/back side of it.

John

Here are a ton pics from another site I am on. Tim(sharkey) snagged these..

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/destinations_nj_storms_hurricane_sandy_121029

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/destinations_nj_storms_hurricane_sandy_121030/h4989F472#h498a9198

CJM
10-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Oh trust me John, most of the shore is literally gone or ruined. Boardwalks I went to as a kid got swept out to sea, they had sharks (I kid you not) swimming down the roads (well what was a road under water).

Many are still without power, friend of mine from North West NJ was told not to expect power for 2-4 weeks (lots of downed trees and he lives in the mtns).

most of the storm wasnt rain, all heavy, heavy winds that blew stuff away. Also sea water surges of more than 10ft in most areas even saturday when it began. I watched a local river flood out the road as I drove over it for work!.

Not the worst storm ever, but the worst in terms of damage compared to others we have had in the past. Basically if you live just 20 mins south of me and closer to the water your home is either flood, gone or without power for sure. Im only 30 mins from the beaches in any direction really.

yellowzo3
10-31-2012, 05:45 PM
CJM, i keep seeing more and more people getting riled out about the gas situation. You think there's any gas stations left open? All of the ones around here are closed. Eventually no one will be able to get to work. I heard the gas trucks can't even get through to deliver the gas so who knows... Glad you're alright though.

A small update as well... I don't think anyone around my town got power back on yet and as of 5pm (last time I was out driving) there were no new restored areas of power that I saw.

I was trying to conserve phone battery as much as I could just to QUICKLY check the weather app and use it as a clock... Of course all the girls in the area thought they would pass the time by texting/facebooking/instagraming 24/7 and now they're all in stores sitting around charging their phones :p

CJM
10-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Charge the phone in your car yellow, thats what I would be doing without the genny.

As for gas, even if the station does have it-how can they pump it with no power? Not sure how far you are from PA-but that might be the ticket if you really need some, for us its only like a half hour ride and they have power just fine.

Just saw ion TV Christie is trying to get gas in-but without power to pump it, its pointless. he did say he was working on restoring as much power as quickly as possible and called on several states to send crews up to help. So hopefully in most areas power will be back soon. most of the problem is the trees on the lines-need to repair the lines possibly and such. Also traffic lights are a number one priority as well, where I live you have to cross several main roads and without lights its impossible and they have blocked off stuff and detoured ya otherwise.

Where are you at anyway? Im in freehold about 20 mins from six flags.

yellowzo3
10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm right in the Brunswicks (close to Rutgers actually)... I'm not too far from you. I've been driving around all of them (North Brunswick, South, East, New)... There are a couple (by couple I mean 2, VERY SMALL lol) patches of area with power by us and those spots are all sold out of gas and closed now. I have power at my house now so we charged everything up and have been getting back on track.

I heard Christie brought in 8,000 workers from other states to help out. I guess they're out there but I've been seeing A LOT of trucks just sitting in parking lots and guys sitting in trucks just hanging out. I can't complain though... We know they're working hard 24/7 and I'm sure its an insane process to get everything sorted out.

CJM
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Ah your like 30 mins from me.

Yea I heard they were sitting round too-then again they cant remove trees (if they are just tree removal) without utility guys doing the wires, if thats the case.

I know in east brunswick I been watchign them cut down trees near wires for at least 2 years now (all along old bridge turnpike) so at least that area was ok.

Hope your power comes back soon bro, that area was locked down tighter than fort knox since like saturday (least by 18 and 1 or so i heard). I work up that way driving my AAA truck and saw south river flood out!

yellowzo3
10-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Yeah the rest of the town is in the dark (and surrounding towns) but we're ok so far. And you're 100% right... It takes FOREVER to drive anywhere... No left turns at any lights and a ton of roads closed... You can't even get to some places and I know people aren't going to drive 45 minutes for a 15 minute trip with no gas available.

Yeah South River and Sayreville are flooded out pretty bad. Lots of damage in that area :(

Be safe if you're going to be out in the truck! Lots of hazards of all kinds on the roads.

CJM
10-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Im pretty sure we wont be working for days. I only work mon/sat anyways due to school anyway. AAA literally shut down service and we woulda shut down anyways if they hadnt-how can we work with no gas lol?

yellowzo3
11-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Just saw your reply... we lost power again and just got it back lol. Yeah the gas situation seems to be getting worse and tons of people have been going to PA to get gas... unfortunately I don't have enough gas to get to PA and I would waste it all driving back to my house even if I filled up when I got there. Hopefully I have enough to get to work and back and find a gas station.

CJM
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
That stinks. Not much we can do it seems, my job depends on gas so IDK wtf Im gonna do if I cant drive anywhere lol.

dxcody
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
PM'd you Marc!

CJM
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
got it cody, check for my reply!

JForestZ34
11-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Another checking in from Central NJ. Tree's down everywhere. Wide spread power outage. Got 20 gallons for the generator and power came on weds for us. Now just dealing with the long gas lines for now. Basking Ridge and Bernardsville took a beating. Haven't been to work all week and the kids haven't had school.

All is well so far.

James

Mickey C Dunlap
11-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Day 6 with out power,Four Stroke Tech has been closed all week,and it may take another week to get power because there are only 3 house on this line affected.:(

yellowzo3
11-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Mickey C Dunlap
Day 6 with out power,Four Stroke Tech has been closed all week,and it may take another week to get power because there are only 3 house on this line affected.:(

Yeah I've seen a bunch of small neighborhoods still without power while some of the businesses right across the street had power restored quickly.

After we lost power for the second time a few neighbors made a commotion while I was at work when a PSE&G van was just sitting on our street all day doing nothing (Not one of the work trucks... just a van.) ...Other neighbors were calling PSE&G asking what the deal was... A few hours later our power was back on so who knows what they were doing.

I guess you could try to call up and ask if they could send someone over to get you guys situated or ask how much longer its going to be. If any of your neighbors are elderly or have small children they should call and let the power company know. They shouldn't be left in the cold for that long :(

Hang in there man! Just try to use the generator efficiently, although I'm sure you've got it down to a science :p

chucked
11-04-2012, 07:17 AM
I doubt he was "doing nothing"

OldGuyonaQuad
11-04-2012, 07:35 AM
x2

Sunday before the storm I came across a caravan of about 8 public service work trucks when I got closer i saw they all had Florida plates. It's great they they sent help to back us up. Then I heard Wednesday on a NYC radio show that an out of state crew of workers were turned away because they weren't union workers. IDK if it was confirmed or not but I wouldn't be surprised.

Why did it take public outrage for Mayor Bloomberg to finally cancel the marathon that was going to take runners through flooded Burroughs filled with powerless homes and displaced residents?

CJM
11-04-2012, 07:41 AM
^ Bloombergs an idiot. THats why it took complaints to shut down the marathon.

Hotels had given people rooms at insanely low rates-they were gonna kick these people out due to all the runners coming.

Heres another good example of how big an idiot bloomberg is Bloomberg refuses NG help b/c they carry guns (http://www.humanevents.com/2012/11/03/bloomberg-refuses-national-guard-entry-into-brooklyn-because-they-carry-guns/)

yellowzo3
11-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Walking around in a circle outside of your minivan is doing nothing.... That's the reason the neighbors went out and started going nuts. It wasn't some out of state help taking a break or something, which we've all seen out there. After the commotion that was caused the guy got in his van and left. I'm sure if he had a job to do there he would have stayed after everyone went nuts. I'm guessing the neighbors were pissed because we got power back on and then it went out again while the neighborhood next to us mysteriously lit up :p

And The non-union help was welcomed and is helping out. I heard the rumors of them being turned away as well but the latest report I saw said that there are indeed many non-union crews helping out.

OldGuyonaQuad
11-04-2012, 08:57 AM
thanks yellow I'm so glad to hear that it wasn't true.

Mickey C Dunlap
11-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
Yeah I've seen a bunch of small neighborhoods still without power while some of the businesses right across the street had power restored quickly.

After we lost power for the second time a few neighbors made a commotion while I was at work when a PSE&G van was just sitting on our street all day doing nothing (Not one of the work trucks... just a van.) ...Other neighbors were calling PSE&G asking what the deal was... A few hours later our power was back on so who knows what they were doing.

I guess you could try to call up and ask if they could send someone over to get you guys situated or ask how much longer its going to be. If any of your neighbors are elderly or have small children they should call and let the power company know. They shouldn't be left in the cold for that long :(

Hang in there man! Just try to use the generator efficiently, although I'm sure you've got it down to a science :p

Yea I see the trucks go by all day,I'm about ready to put a sign out "stop here and fix your lines!":mad: I have called them every day,they can't give me a date.:grr:

chucked
11-04-2012, 03:53 PM
I doubt all he was doing was walking around in circles.

yellowzo3
11-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I doubt all he was doing was walking around in circles.

Who knows... He was there all day though and left after some people got rowdy. Obviously didn't have anything to do if he left when things got heated lol... Most of the town has power back though which is the important thing.

Now to prepare for the next storm thats going to hit! :mad:

chucked
11-04-2012, 04:53 PM
How do you know he hadn't already been working for a few days and was trying to get a break? People are allowed to take breaks you know actually I think it's against the law if you don't take a break

chucked
11-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Also if he had a mini van I extremely doubt you would see him doing any work after all he was in a minivan.

CJM
11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
If you dont know union worker you wouldnt ever understand them.

Basically-all those jokes and stories you hear of them being lazy, about 80% of them are super lazy and DRAG work on cause even though its an emergency to you-they are getting paid extremely well for being at work and working on an emergency of some sort. Better than normal pay by far!

Friend of my brother works for the cable company, they paid him an insane amount to fix a downed cable line that basically just came off a home due to a storm. It that took him all of an hour to do. BUT he and his fellow workers sat there for 4 hours doing god only knows what when the repair took an hour total. He gloated they got paid like a special rate cause its an emergency repair.

Ruby Soho
11-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Most of the union electrical outfits aren't bad around here. The state/town workers are the jokes.. 10 guys to clean off a drain and put cones out. 5hr job. No big deal lol

CJM
11-04-2012, 05:37 PM
^ Thats how it goes tho.

I watched them many a time, the union power guys are notoriously slow b/c they get paid by the hour.

Same with union construction workers and specially town/state workers.

I once watched road workers put cones out for 2 hours to block off 100ft of road only for it to get dark and them stop working to come back the next day.

Ruby Soho
11-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Most of the time its true.

I am a union guy. Ironworkers are a different breed though.. or atleast most of us lol