PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running revalves for mx?

rollie
10-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Thinking of getting back into atv racing...again haha.

But this time im thinking of doing it a bit different, buying a stock 04/05, throwing a stem, bars, nerfs, axle and +3 std travel a-arms on it. then sending them out to GTthunder/derisi/JET and having them revalve/respring the stock shocks for me with a GTT link in the back.

I know the results wont be like either of my walsh/pep or gibson/pep bikes, but my goals wont be the same either, just want to go hit up a couple tracks, not really even sure if im going to race may just practice, just looking for something to have fun with really

so is anyone running revalves for MX and what do you think of them?

thanks

trx416m
10-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I know travis spader ran stock revalves on his can am for a year or 2 and had Hygear Suspension do them.

I used to race the NEATV series, now i focus on the XC races but ive ran stock length revalves done by Hygear with great success the past 3 years. Plus they are much closer then any other company since their already in the NE. Can't hurt to give them a call or check out their website!

chronicsmoke
10-30-2012, 07:05 AM
I ran stock revalves before I went LT and they were good.. They just didn't have the bottoming resistance like my LT shocks.

They bottomed on a few big doubles, just enough to say that they ran out of travel though not like a wrist breaking impact.. My LT setup did the same thing until I played with them and adjusted correctly..

I used Monster Perf revalves with a GTT link, and an 06+ GTT link& revalve with decent results.

Kovatch
10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Stock revalves aren't all that bad. But, by the time you buy +3 ST a-arms & revalve your front shocks, it would only take a little more money to get a used LT set up.

Then, you would have the reassurance of hitting a jump wrong and the shocks being able to handle it.

Goals may be different but safety/confidence is key.

rollie
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Kovatch
Stock revalves aren't all that bad. But, by the time you buy +3 ST a-arms & revalve your front shocks, it would only take a little more money to get a used LT set up.

Then, you would have the reassurance of hitting a jump wrong and the shocks being able to handle it.

Goals may be different but safety/confidence is key.

True an LT set up is only a few hundred more, but then i have a couple hundred in Powercoat to make it look nice, new kingpins/balljoints/bearings/seals in the used a-arms, then i have to buy used shocks and send them out for another couple hundred bucks to get set up for me, Where as i can buy house a-arms, an axle, $1000 for the stock revalves already set up for me and the link, im at like 2k for the whole set up.

dustin_j
10-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by rollie
True an LT set up is only a few hundred more, but then i have a couple hundred in Powercoat to make it look nice, new kingpins/balljoints/bearings/seals in the used a-arms, then i have to buy used shocks and send them out for another couple hundred bucks to get set up for me, Where as i can buy house a-arms, an axle, $1000 for the stock revalves already set up for me and the link, im at like 2k for the whole set up.

I agree completely with your thinking. You will have a much better setup if you have the stock shocks modified for your weight, Arms, link, etc, than if you bought some used arms and shocks and threw them together. I am very happy with my +2 ST Housers and GTT MX Link.

MX450
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
duuuude. just find a bike thats got the suspension. i came off a revalved rear end to a superlink and let me tell you, the first lap on a track without that stuff you are going to be kicking yourself. who cares if you only ride 3 times a year, get the good stuff!

blacknblue#2
11-02-2012, 05:53 AM
I almost went this route when i built my hybrid cause I like you also have limited time for riding recently. But I was only gonna do Revalves in the front. I know everyone runs out and buys shocks buy all front end stuff first and never worrys about the rear end but you have enough experience in MX to know the rear end is where its at. Hell if i woulda known 8 years ago what i know now a long travel rear woulda been bought before any front end work on all my quads lol

rummerd
11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't race, but I used to run a lot of practice tracks for fun. I have had a lot of different LT setups. I am completely happy with my current setup from Jet Suspension. I have his Stealth long travel front conversions on SMC LT MGC arms. Rear is stock revalve with GT thunder XC link. I use that link because I run 20 inch tires, if you ran only 18 inch, you would use the MX link. Awesome suspension.

On my TPC, I have a stock rear revalve from Jet. It uses the GT Thunder "short" link. I needed that setup to get the ride height correct to match the front. Again, well worth the money.

On top of that, Jet's customer service is second to none.