PDA

View Full Version : 400ex exhaust mount bushing

JACK STRAW
10-28-2012, 07:47 PM
i have a '05 400ex with a yoshi muffler. where can i get an aluminum bushing for the frame mounting. i want to get rid of the oem rubber bushing. i can grab the back of the tail pipe and rock the whole thing back and forth.

Pipeless416
10-28-2012, 08:07 PM
are both mounting points being used? are the rubber bushings dry rotted? new rubber bushings are fairly firm. i would definitely avoid solid mounting the exhaust.

Stickman400
10-28-2012, 08:28 PM
I also agree with Pipeless, I would just get new rubber isolators if they are both being used. But if you really want to securely mount it I am working on a friends 400 that has been cobbled together and the PO must have felt the same way because they just stuck a big nut in the hole for the bushing then ran a bolt and some washers through it and tightened it up. It would look hacked but I guess it worked.

JACK STRAW
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
they are not dry rotted. both are being used. do you think the subframe flexes too much and that is why oem is using rubber?

Stickman400
10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
The sub-frame will flex some but not that much. They use them just because the exhaust is going to vibrate at different frequencies through the rpm range and that vibration will eventually fatigue the metal and cause it to break over time if it was securely mounted to the frame. Plus it allows it to flex with hard landings and cuts down on the vibration felt in the handlebars.

Are you sure it's flexing in the bushings and not the actual exhaust canister? I have an old LRD pipe that needs repacked and when it was on the quad I could move the whole thing around when securely mounted just because the rivets on the back of the can where loose because the packing was all burnt out.

JACK STRAW
10-30-2012, 07:37 PM
yes everything is tight.the rivets are not loose.the quad has 35 hrs on it and the pipe 23 which i think is premature for looseness.my son has an '08 400ex and is going to put a pipe on it this week, i will look close at his once the pipe is on.i am going to look for a harder durometer material for mine. mabee a urathane