PDA

View Full Version : 400 wont start

bcleveland
10-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Hey fellows I am having a problem Yesterday I was doing some easy riding with the nephew 2nd gear barely cruising, and the hose come off on top of the rocker box and started blowing oil every where. I immediately shut it off we pulled it back to the truck and started it again to see where it was coming from we ran it for just a couple of seconds it was blowing a stream out of the fitting on top so cut it off. This morning I stripped all the body work off and fixed the hose then pressure washed all the oil off. Went to start it to let it dry and it wouldnt do anything but spin over. No pop no stumble no crazy bangs. I pulled the plug and was wet with gas so I put a new plug in and nothing same problem. So I thought since I had stood it up on the grab bar the float could have hung and was flooding the crap out of it. So took the carb apart and everything was spotless nothing blocked float nice and free. Put it back on pulled plug and spun it over with the plug stuck in the wire and grounded out and has a nice blue spark. Tried it again spins over but no pop bang or anything. So here is where I am at
It is getting fuel
It is getting a spark
It has compression havent checked it with a gauge but does have atleast some.
So where do I go from here It was running fine when I cut it off yesterday.
Could it be the cdi got killed from the pressure washer?

bcleveland
10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
anything fellows

powerbomb400
10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
If the CDI was dead you wouldn't get no spark. I don't see no reason for it not starting.

DragonGunner
10-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Don'tg forget to check your oil level....anyway, could be weak battery an or you just got water where it didn't like it....sometimes after pressure washer mine can be hard to start, water in filter an such, sometime have to hold throttle wide open to get it going.....probably just got it flooded real bad.

bcleveland
01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
I just wanted to respond to what my problem was. I had it running not long after posting but forgot I had made this thread. Well here it goes. I took the filter off to wash it and found an old shirt to stuff in the air tube. Well it was to big so I cut it in two pieces and stuffed them in. When I was done washing I pulled out one of the rags thinking that I stuffed the shirt in as one piece. Well the other was still crammed in there. So easy fix but honestly worked on this thing for 4hrs before finding it. Oops

DragonGunner
01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Thats just funny!!! Sounds like something I would do......now when someones posts that their 400EX won't start we can also include checking the carb for a ripped shirt.

hondaREX
01-25-2013, 04:36 PM
That is a good one. I run no airbox lid and put the lid on when I wash it. Well I put the bike away after washing it and when I got around to start it up again, I had to crank the piss out of it. Flooded the crap out of it, wouldn't start. I was like WTF. Pulled the rear plastic, voila, lid is on. The filter was soaked with gas. Airbox drain was full. Pretty stupid move.