PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

CJM
10-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Both of the oil cooler lines are leaking at the engine.

Have replaced the o rings a few times with ones i have (not stock but super close in size to stock) but it still leaks. Last time it stopped leaking for the day and again leaked today when I had the quad out just warming it up.

Im guessing either I need the stock o rings as they are exact sized or new lines. Already replaced the dowel pins...

Minor annoyances ugh.

DragonGunner
10-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Thats a knew one....I would try a little gasket sealer around the area.

CJM
10-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I might do that if Im feeling froggy. I dont think its going to seal right tho. Course I do also wonder-maybe I crushed the o rings by over tightening them last time since i used my small 1/4 impact driver.

Recalling it, i cant seem to remember if I did the dowel pins or not. For the cost of it all Ill probably try new pins and stock o rings just to see since they are cheap. Then if not Ill snag some used lines for cheap off ebay.

Stickman400
10-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Yea, just get new stock pins and o-rings and that should fix it. Those lines leak all the time. I've seen quite a few other 400s that have dirt and dust built up around those lines where they attach to the engine and you can see they were leaking. Just hop on the 450:p

JOHNDOE83
10-28-2012, 11:01 AM
My 400 randomly started doing that also, after trial and error I fixed it with rtv.

CJM
10-28-2012, 02:33 PM
For 10 bucks in parts Ill give it a shot. If not theres always rtv.

jman7290
10-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Mine leaked there before also, got some new OEM ones and no more leak!

CJM
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Update:
New dowel pins and o rings and no more leaks. Doesnt make sense since I replaced the o rings already but who knows. Old dowel pins looked identical and seemed fine.

Whatever, it dont leak now :D

powerbomb400
11-16-2012, 05:59 PM
When we rebuilt my topend replaced everything. When first started it would have a puff of smoke. Everything had been replaced in the topend. Asked my friend about it as he was the one that did the work. Seems that he used some aftermarket valve stem seals. Replaced those with factory seals and no smoke at all. The factory seal was like 1.50 more than the aftermarket ones. Its crazy but I guess a micro millimeter does make a difference at times.

CJM
11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Yea, I used like 9mm and 10mm o rings and an SAE size too and it leaked. the o rings according to the parts fiche are 9.8 mm.

So weird, least it dont leak now.

Ive got a slight leak at the rocker now. Its leaking around one of the sealing washers that holds the rockers on. Winter project since its not something thats really bad now.