PDA

View Full Version : Kickstart or 24 volt

jkosakowski
10-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Ok I don't like how my 450er starts so I was wondering what you guys prefer a kicker conversion or 24 volt system? I'm leaning towards the 24 volt system because it seems easier to instal and Adam mcgill runs the one I'm looking at (made by dirtworks). Also what spricket sizes do you guys like for xc ?

DnB_racing
10-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by jkosakowski
Ok I don't like how my 450er starts so I was wondering what you guys prefer a kicker conversion or 24 volt system? I'm leaning towards the 24 volt system because it seems easier to instal and Adam mcgill runs the one I'm looking at (made by dirtworks). Also what spricket sizes do you guys like for xc ? I love my 24 volt start, but I have a kicker installed also for emergency
but to be honest I have only used my kicker a couple time just to try it,as the 24 volt system has been flawless

if you do go that way, a couple recommendations:

first get 2 new batteries of the same size, they will last longer

and second if you have a adjustable decompression bump up your starting compression to around 68-70 psi for quicker starts

and third dirtworks kit is nice but very expensive thats priced 185 is without batteries,

you can make your own for not much money,you would be surprised how good a couple tie wraps hold the battery from moving at all, under the front hood behind the cdi box, these just enough space to neatly tie it in

jkosakowski
10-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Ok the more I think about it I think I'm Gona go with the 24 volt no one really complains about it and its a ton cheaper that a kicker conversion kit.

jkosakowski
10-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Also how do I know if I have adjustable decompression (I'm new to the 450s )

DnB_racing
10-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Also how do I know if I have adjustable decompression (I'm new to the 450s ) what year do you have?

06/07, have the adjustable one but if yours is newer you can still put that type in, it works good for fine tuning the start system psi

jkosakowski
10-27-2012, 09:21 PM
I got a 07 how do you adjust it?

DnB_racing
10-27-2012, 09:46 PM
you need to first see what your starting compression with a good compression tester,

take the valve cover off and then check the right side exhaust clearance along with the clearance between the set screw on the rocker arm,

then simply adjust the set screw a little at a time and check your compression until its where you want it

jkosakowski
10-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Ok I'll check that and also I think I'm Gona need the starter clutch upgrade soone but I can't find the kit anymore it says the part was discontinued? The part # I searched was 06220-hp1-306 is there another part number I should look for? Thanks got the help!

DnB_racing
10-27-2012, 09:54 PM
ive always just bought the all the parts from my local dealer he gives me a much better deal then any of the online suppliers.

this has the numbers you need
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=448092

fomospede
10-28-2012, 06:47 AM
check out gtthunder they have a 24 setup
i use the shorai lipo batteries myself and a kicker
the light batteries help make up for 2 of them

jkosakowski
10-28-2012, 07:25 AM
When the starter clutch goes can it do any damage to the engine?

DnB_racing
10-28-2012, 07:30 AM
When the starter clutch goes can it do any damage to the engine? not that Ive ever seen or herd about,

but depending on conditions nothing is definite

jkosakowski
10-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Ok sounds good. Thanks a bunch

Rich250RRacer
10-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Ok I'll check that and also I think I'm Gona need the starter clutch upgrade soone but I can't find the kit anymore it says the part was discontinued? The part # I searched was 06220-hp1-306 is there another part number I should look for? Thanks got the help!

There is no upgrade for the starter clutch, Honda has made no attempt to make these last longer. The new parts you put in will be the same as the old ones you take out, and will eventually fail like your original starter clutch.