PDA

View Full Version : What else do I Need for a XC 400ex build?

childert79
10-26-2012, 09:56 PM
So far this is what I have for my 05 400ex that I'm building up to start racing XC next season. Let me know what you think and what else you would recommend I get.

Suspension/Frame
Frame gusseted (Bare Gusset Kit) and powdercaoted
Houser + 2 Long Travel Arms
Elka Long Travel Stage 4 Shocks
Houser +1 3/4 Swingarm
Elka Long Travel Rear Shock w/linkage
Lonestar Axle with Rotor/Sprocket hubs and Antifade Locknut

Tire's & Wheels
Hiper 10x5 4/1 Tech 3's up front with Razer 2's
Hiper 9x9 Tech 3's in rear with Razer 2's

Brakes/Controls
450r front brake setup
SS Lines F/R
ASV Shorty Levers
Houser +1 Antivibe Steering Stem
Fass Flexx Bars w/Spider Grips

Armor
Pro Armor Nerfbars w/Heel Guards
IMS Pegs
Not Sure what to run on skids yet (Custome make some for LT arms?)
Powermadd Handgaurds

Engine
P&P Head
FST Valve Springs
Stock valves
Stage 2 Hotcam
Wiseco 11:1 Piston
Bored to 416
GTT Studs
FST Oil Cooler
Full HMF Exhaust
Not sure on a 450r carb or 39mm FCR yet
Oversized Oil Tank
Insane Performance Airbox w/K&N Outerwear lid
Pro Design Foam Intake Kit

Miscellaneous
Pro design shifter
JB Case Saver
IMS Oversized Gas Tank
IMS Brake Lever

That's all I can think of for now but I know I need a steering stabilizer. Does anybody know if a 450r stabilizer will work? Also building another 400ex for XC with my brother for him to race too so I might post up his mod list next.
Any ideas on what I might need be missing would be appreciated.

Stickman400
10-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you already have a pretty badass 400, pics??:blah:

Anyway I think the only thing you are missing is the steering stabilizer. I'm not sure if a 450 will work or not. the puck style may fit but I'm not sure of the frame rails are different widths or not. The stick style should, but not positive. I would run a GT Thunder Poly engine skid and then a GT Thunder swingarm skid if you need one clearanced for an aftermarket linkage, if not I'd get a Pro Armor unit. I wouldn't mess with a-arm skids. And then I'd also go with the 450R carb. over the 39mm. I have one on my 400 and it made a BIG difference in usable power.

DragonGunner
10-27-2012, 06:40 AM
39mm FCR carb will have a stiffer thumb throttle...get the 450r carb, your thumb will thank you. Your front rims 4 to 1 will narrow your front a little...narrow is good but +2 a-arms is not what I would prefer in tight woods....narrow is better, front an rear.

childert79
10-27-2012, 09:35 AM
450r carb it is! I just have it in parts for now. Getting ready to build it next month. Just making sure I have everything ready so that when it gets back from powdercoating I can just start going at it and hopefully get it rolling the same day.

Longdong
10-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Trx 90 thumb lever will make a big differents over a stock lever.

Scro
10-28-2012, 06:51 AM
24 volt starting would be nice.

HondaRacing83
10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
pic of your quad!

Stickman400
10-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
pic of your quad! He said it's in pieces, so I don't think it would be a very good picture.

jcs003
10-30-2012, 11:37 AM
amongst all those high end parts you omitted the kill switch. you cant race without it. for those parts you could get a more worthy trail machine.

childert79
11-04-2012, 10:45 PM
I'll post pics of the parts laid out this week. I already have a killswitch and I'll post up a list of my brothers list too.
You'll all be amazed when I post up prices on how much we each have into the atv's so far. I can tell you I have about $1800 in mine so far and he has less than me and he has all elka and laegers on his. :D

Stickman400
11-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I gurantee I have 5 times as much into mine. It's okay to admit that you have a problem, most of us on here do.:D

childert79
11-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I know I have a problem and it's not just with my quads. I just got rid of my drz400 supermoto and that thing had everything you could think of done to it besides a stroker crank. Right now I have a 2007 model SV650 I picked up with 2400 miles on it that I'm tearing down to do all kinds of crap to. Also building an ar15 and revamping my shotgun and handguns for my zombie/shtf arsenal too. Then after I finish all that I need to do my Nissan Frontier. Thinking it needs full longtravel setup with bumpers and a winch!:D