PDA

View Full Version : Removed snorkel

mad4106
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
I removed the snorkel from my air box cause I heard it restricted the airflow but are u suppose to cover up the hole where the snorkel went or leave it like that?

DragonGunner
10-26-2012, 09:35 AM
More dirt an water will get in if you don't, all depends....I'm in water an mud alot so I plugged the hole. Cut the bottom out of a chicken noodle soup can, painted it black an wedged it in there,,,,Nac's use to have a custom plug....I just used a soup can bottom.

cheater13
10-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
More dirt an water will get in if you don't, all depends....I'm in water an mud alot so I plugged the hole. Cut the bottom out of a chicken noodle soup can, painted it black an wedged it in there,,,,Nac's use to have a custom plug....I just used a soup can bottom.
Does it make any type of power difference doing this? I did this and took my airbox off for drag racing and it seemed like it didn't run too much better, but that's probably cause i needed it rejeted. I'm getting the velocity intake though so I know i'll have to rejet for that.

Stickman400
10-26-2012, 10:24 AM
The lid off of a spray paint can will fit perfect.

duneslider
10-26-2012, 11:19 AM
I understand getting rid of the clutter and the giant piece of plastic but if you plug the hole how is this not more restrictive than before? Don't get me wrong, if you pull the lid you will get more air flow but removing the snorkel only shaves maybe a pound off the weight.

If you don't take the lid off and don't plug the hole you get a little more air flow but it will let more water and dirt in (possibly more than removing the lid) depending on the direction the water and dirt is traveling.

If you are in water and mud a lot you have a good chance of it getting the top with the lid removed too.

I have thought about removing mine and making some sort of outerwears cover for it. This would let air in but help stop mud and water.

CJM
10-26-2012, 01:23 PM
If you remove the snorkel and plug it-air cannot get into the machine-thats bad.

You remove the snorkel, it restricts airflow b/c of its stupid shape. Then you run no lid or an outerwears lid. I run outerwears lid and plugged snorkel and love it, it gives you a good boost in power. Kinda like a cold air intake-but its really cold air b/c its not inside a hot engine bay like in car.

DragonGunner
10-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by cheater13
Does it make any type of power difference doing this? I did this and took my airbox off for drag racing and it seemed like it didn't run too much better, but that's probably cause i needed it rejeted. I'm getting the velocity intake though so I know i'll have to rejet for that.

Lid off will make a differance an you will probably have to re-jet unless you were running way rich.....I run lid off with a outerwear over the top of the airbox.