PDA

View Full Version : 450r xc build questions

exrider1214
10-26-2012, 02:22 AM
What's up guys I'm looking into doing a winter build for xc type of racing and I was looking for suggestions as far as suspension and engine go. Any help would be great

fastredrider44
10-26-2012, 08:35 AM
What class racer are you? Suspension first, motor second.

blacknblue#2
10-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Ive never built a true XC quad. Been an MX guy since the 450's come out. But with my riding roots going back to flying through the woods around my parents house ive often thought about making the switch over to XC. I think if i was to do it i wouldnt change anything on the motor past jetting and exhaust.

levi624
10-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Give the guys at Zbrozs racing a call for your suspension. I run their stuff and it works great.

fomospede
10-26-2012, 03:10 PM
precision damper or similar
flex bars or precision mount
poly skids from gtthunder
mud proof moose rear rotor
protaper or other long wearing steel sprockets
as for suspension theres alot of competition out there
revalves derisi or jet
aftermarket AXIS
oh yeah if your lazy a Rekluse (i have 2!)

exrider1214
10-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Im not sure what class I would be in I've never raced before but what dimensions would I need to look for as a arms and shocks?

fastredrider44
10-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Your shock length will depend on what brand arms you go with. For the front, you probably won't want anything wider than +1 arms with 4+1 offset wheels. If you're just starting out, you can make do with stock rebuilds/revalves.

fomospede
10-29-2012, 08:05 AM
if you are gonna buy control arms
stay away from poly bushings they wear away and cause premature failure of other components
i use houser arms with needle rollers and seals with grease zerks
finding the right components will shorten you maint. list and with xc youll be wrenching alot

-TheDude-
12-19-2012, 08:15 PM
suspension, steering dampener, bars, tires..... motor should be the last thing on your list..... in the woods youll never use the motor at full strength

fomospede
12-20-2012, 03:50 AM
i dont agree many times im pinned in the woods maybe not topped out in top gear but
atleast uncork it and jet it maybe a little carb work

Originally posted by -TheDude-
suspension, steering dampener, bars, tires..... motor should be the last thing on your list..... in the woods youll never use the motor at full strength

-TheDude-
12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by fomospede
i dont agree many times im pinned in the woods maybe not topped out in top gear but
atleast uncork it and jet it maybe a little carb work

Im talking about straight line speed.... you dont need 70hp to get out of a tough area. people sometimes think they need the fastest quad to race in the woods when thats not the case. the fastest quad with no suspension will never win compaired to a stock motor with great suspension.......... i do agree with the carb work tho, im just saying save your money on the rebuild and put it towards better upgrades

jpfmotors
12-20-2012, 12:45 PM
I highly agree with TheDude, i ran just a hrc kit for a long time with stock exhaust but with nice suspension and feeling comfotable on my quad i was easyly going faster than guys with built motors