PDA

View Full Version : apex aftermarket radiator

eagertorace
10-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I've got a leak started on this copper radiator, it's where the mesh cover is bolted to the front of it, would bars leak fix it or something else or would it be better for a shop to weld it back?

thanks for any info, btw, the leak is very small

mmsoup
10-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Depends on what type of cylinder you are running and how much heat you are generating. We ran two stock Apex Radiators for a couple of years in woods racing and had them both patched at least twice each. They were kind of cheesy in quality. We eventually went to stock DRR radiators and were running maxed out motor packages in both machines and NEVER had a heating problem that was related to the cooling system.

We ran the MaxRPM oversized radiator for exactly one GNCC and our pilot took the bumper and radiator out on the last lap. Bumper isn't built for a serious impact and radiator gets taken with, may be fine for MX but not the best in the woods.

The overflow bottle quality and location (Side of the radiator) on the DRR is excellent. We have two of these radiators and they are both almost three years old now and never once leaked.

Others may have a different experience but that is my .02

bigdaddy77
10-27-2012, 04:50 AM
If your looking for a quick fix that will normally last 6-8 months put a couple of tea spoons of black pepper in it.
This will not harm or clog anything else in the cooling system. Get it warmed up and coolant circulating and then put in the pepper and leave it run till it stops leaking.

Hetrick Racing
11-02-2012, 07:27 AM
If you already have the oversize rad/bumper
We have a new kit for the Apex
Engine temp dropped just over 10 degrees more than the oversize rad everyone is running.
The kit includes
Rad
Rad mount kit
Upper rad hose and 2 in line coolers (to extend bottom hose)
You dont need the coolers it just looks better than peicing a hose together

eagertorace
11-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Hetrick Racing
If you already have the oversize rad/bumper
We have a new kit for the Apex
Engine temp dropped just over 10 degrees more than the oversize rad everyone is running.
The kit includes
Rad
Rad mount kit
Upper rad hose and 2 in line coolers (to extend bottom hose)
You dont need the coolers it just looks better than peicing a hose together

I don't think it's oversized just aftermarket.
I used the gas tank/radiator leak product to seal it up, so far it's working.
thanks for the help