PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do a Custom Harness?

beobe99
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
What's up guys, well I finally got another R (Stock replacement Leager framed) and started tearing it down for rebuild. I wanted to re-do the wire harness and make it fresh / Custom. Anyone ever done this? I'm talking new connectors, wires, sleeving, etc.

-If so links for supplies?

-Pics!!?

*Discuss*

fourtrax_r
10-25-2012, 07:36 PM
i have most of the color coded wire and connectors. missing a few but i didnt put much effort into finding them because i didn't have much interest in them. i was planning on making a replacement harness for the 250r with and without lighting

DnB_racing
10-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by beobe99
What's up guys, well I finally got another R (Stock replacement Leager framed) and started tearing it down for rebuild. I wanted to re-do the wire harness and make it fresh / Custom. Anyone ever done this? I'm talking new connectors, wires, sleeving, etc.

-If so links for supplies?

-Pics!!?

*Discuss* not yet!!! if you get any info please post it up for us

Ive been trying to duplicate all the components also with very limited results

fourtrax post up any part numbers and manufactures of the parts you have

beobe::: fyi the pins can be removed from the connectors if you have some decent connectors the pins can be bought and redone for little money

HAYESTRX250R
10-26-2012, 02:35 AM
I have been wondering why Painless Wiring has not already offered a kit.

beobe99
10-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
not yet!!! if you get any info please post it up for us

Ive been trying to duplicate all the components also with very limited results

fourtrax post up any part numbers and manufactures of the parts you have

beobe::: fyi the pins can be removed from the connectors if you have some decent connectors the pins can be bought and redone for little money

Regardless of whether or not this thread help's I am slowly working on getting everything together to come up with something myself. I already have my harness tapped down to a piece of cardboard and everything labeled. A Car buddy of mine (Imports) did a one off harness on his 240sx so I'll be looking to him for help.

I'm not trying to replicate the OEM harness connectors, would like Custom quality connectors, better/new wire, and of course pretty sleeving / shrink tube.

I have to figure out what I'm going to do with this PVL ignition first though, want to just use stock.

wilkin250r
10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by fourtrax_r
i have most of the color coded wire and connectors. missing a few but i didnt put much effort into finding them because i didn't have much interest in them. i was planning on making a replacement harness for the 250r with and without lighting

I'm willing to design a complete DC conversion kit and wiring harness using a 400EX regulator/rectifier, but I need to get connector part numbers first.

I'm an electrical engineer, but I'm out of the electronics business at the moment, so I don't have the connections to part search.

If you have connector part numbers, share them!

mx91a
10-27-2012, 06:22 AM
Here is where you can get all the jap OEM connectors that Honda uses:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

Good luck!

beobe99
10-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by mx91a

Good luck!

Your the man!

DnB_racing
10-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by mx91a

Good luck! Ive looked thru that website in the past with a few connectors in my hand and they dont match oem exactly, the outside connector has a different shape and wont fit, you would have to change out from oem style to these on both halves of the connector

I didnt call them maybe they do have the oems, but they arnt shown on the web pics;;;;;
I just sent an E-Mail to them to check to see if they do have direct replacement's,
if they do im sure there is a minimum order, i will let you know, maybe someone else wants some ,I know Wilkins does,

fourtrax_r
10-27-2012, 09:42 AM
i found the last few connectors, made a few phone calls through a company to another company to another company etc but i got what i needed, to duplicate the 250r harness, some of the connectors are not the oem color but i'm in it to use them so they will work for me(i'm still goin to keep my eyes open for oem color connectors). i just need to track down 2 of the striped wires and get them and i'm 100% ready to make these

DnB_racing
10-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by fourtrax_r
i found the last few connectors, made a few phone calls through a company to another company to another company etc but i got what i needed, to duplicate the 250r harness, some of the connectors are not the oem color but i'm in it to use them so they will work for me(i'm still goin to keep my eyes open for oem color connectors). i just need to track down 2 of the striped wires and get them and i'm 100% ready to make these post Part numbers!!!!
its this type of information we need to help keep these quads running...so post up please!!!!!

color doesnt matter as long as the connector housing has the same configuration, so a oem connector can plug into it

there is no sense buying a whole harness as long as we can replace the bad connector,

on ebay about 2 months ago someone was trying to gouge the market, with a replacement harness for $120 and didnt sell...im an electrician and I know that there is not that much money or time needed to make a harness, once setup for it with the proper tools(crimp pliers i got my pair that does that style for $58) you can make several in no time with not much money in wires and connectors

if your going to sell them do the right thing, yes make it worth your while, a final price of $50-$75 is all they are worth,

the wire price is going to be much less then $0.20 a foot with no more then a total of 25 feet is less then 5 bucks for the wire and about 15 tops for all connectors, some tape and some heat shrink 25 dollars worth of material,

given this information its worth just giving the part numbers for people to fix there own harness:D

fourtrax_r
10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
i would gladly post part numbers but they came in bags that were plain...no numbers on them anywhere(zip-lock bags to be exact). the color striped wire is alittle pricy. it is $7 per 12ft piece. i have to look to see what 2 colors im missing yet and maybe someone can help with that. as soon as i get the last of the connectors i need in i'll let you know if there are any #'s on them.
if anyone needs any of the connectors just let me know which ones and i'll sell them for what it costs me, after all i dont need hundreds of these to make a few harnesses. just cover the shipping, thats all i ask. its looking like a harness is going to be about $75 with the materials. if i can find a cheaper supplier for the wire that would be a big help. i'm using a Japanese company now and with the shipping kills the overall cost

DnB_racing
10-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I emailed the first company (EasternBeaver)

and they dont have what we need, but gave me this link I already emailed them and ill post results when they answer

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

EDIT:::this company says the might be able to. all they need is a good closeup picture of any connectors and they can match them,

if anyone has any harness connectors handy with a camera send them some pics and see if they can indeed help us,

at this time all my harnesses are not near by me

wilkin250r
10-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I can take high-resolution pictures of connectors if needed, I might be able to get to it tomorrow.

I'm also interested in a connector for a 400EX regulator/rectifier. I've seen quite a bit of interest for DC conversions. There are others that I can easily get the reg/rec and the connector, but they are off-brands and people don't trust them, and it would limit you to buying replacements from that one company (and who knows how long they'll be available). I like the idea of using the 400EX parts because they're plentiful and cheap. People always like to use existing parts from other ATVs.

fourtrax_r
10-28-2012, 07:30 AM
get me a pic of the 400ex connector and i'll see if i can get that one

wilkin250r
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I have not forgotten about this issue, I've just been swamped. I have my 400EX harness and Reg/Rectifier sitting on my workbench in my garage waiting for me to find a few spare minutes.

beobe99
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Wow, thanks for all the links guys! Very useful..

Once I get rid of this PVL ignition I'll be starting on my harness.. (it's a tad over kill for stock cylinder and is giving me nasty kick back. that, and the thought of adjusting it makes my head spin)

Trades?
:D

fourtrax_r
12-18-2012, 08:14 PM
just so all of you know, i have started to make this harness, hopefully get it finished and tested in the next 2-3 weeks. they look pretty good so far and will post pics if them finished. anyone who wants one or has any suggestions, let me know. i have not figured out exactly what i have in one but i will do so shortly